Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books to start off with

1. Jan 7, 2004 #1
    I am new to most all of the concepts in modern theoretical physics. What are the must read books to start off with to develop a basic understanding of the basic principles of modern theoretical physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2004 #2
    Do you have any physics background at all?

4. Jan 8, 2004 #3
    I have my bachelors in Mechanical Engineering from Cornell and have taken three semesters of Physics. I have a good knowledge up to the subject of basic quantum physics.

5. Jan 8, 2004 #4
    you say basic quantum mechanics. i m not sure how basic is basic, but before you go on to more theoretical stuff, you should be feeling pretty comfortable with a book like Shankar or Sakurai.

and if you know quantum mechanics, your next step is quantum field theory, and general relativity.

for an easier book in quantum field theory, i suggest Greiner and Reinhardt. for a slightly more advanced book but still very well suited to self study, i suggest this new book by Zee. i read a few chapters in a bookstore, and it was kind of nifty.

Ryder is a serious book, and Weinberg is the bible.

for GR, i think a nice easier book is Hartle, but the nicest book available is probably Wald.

then after that, i guess you want to start on string theory, since you posted in this string theory forum. well i would suggest getting both Green Schwarz and Witten, and Polchinski. GSW is easier to read (in my opinion), but polchinski is more modern. Clifford Johnson has a great book on D-branes. you might also like to have a suppliment a book on conformal field theory. for that, i suggest Di Francesco.

after that, there aren t really many more textbooks, you should just do all your reading on the archiv.

by the way, i have made no mention of the math you have to know to learn all that physics. how much math do you know?

6. Jan 8, 2004 #5
    lethe!
    As an Engineering Student I think he knows much math ;)

7. Jan 8, 2004 #6
    really? i thought engineers didn t go much passed calc..... maybe diff eqs, tops.....

8. Jan 8, 2004 #7
    Thanks alot lethe, that should give me a good start. As for math, you are correct, we topped out at basic diff eq., linear algebra. Most of the math I see used in the String/Quantum stuff literally looks like greek to me:smile: .

9. Jan 9, 2004 #8
    another book for string theory: barton zwiebach. his book isn t available yet, it was supposed to be published and available by january this year, but i think it has been delayed a few months. but i m sure it will be out any time now. it is a book of string theory for undergrads, and it has a very basic intro to a lot of the concepts of string theory. but not suited for use if you want to learn the modern aspects of string theory (D-branes, aDS/CFT, etc)

10. Jan 9, 2004 #9
    Ha..ha.. Yes! you are correct! But ... I am also an engineering student but in our course we've completed Complex variables, Legendre, Bessel functions, Laplace, Z-transform, Fourier Series, Probability Distributions and Queuing theory, Graph Theory etc. I am not sure you'll call them Higher math or not but I can tell you that I am not that expert :wink:

11. Jan 9, 2004 #10
    Yes i know i have to do a lots of diff equation as an Engineer in Electronics.

But nothing can withold me from reading maths & physics

12. Jan 11, 2004 #11
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?