1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boolean Algebra Proof

1. Jul 22, 2004 #1
    I think I am missing part of my notes, or at least I don't understand them:

if x+y = y+z and xy = xz, then x=z

x = (y+z)x Absorbtion (Don't really know where this is coming from)
    x(y+z) Commutative
    xy+xz Distributive
    It stops here and starts again at:

yz+xz (I have no idea where this came from)
    zy+zx Commutative
    z(y+z) Distributive
    (z+y)z Here is where it gets confusing. Where did the z+y come from?
    z Proven previously

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2004 #2
    I think the easiest way of showing that is by using truth tables.

x + y = y + z --> x(x + y) = x(y + z). Note that the left hand side simplifies to x, hence the result above.

x + y = y + z --> (x + y)z = (y + z)z. The left hand side equals what you have above. Note that the right hand side simplifies to z.

Just rearrange the terms from the previous step, i.e. z(y + z) = (z + y)z.

It's not clear to me what is going on here. Are these the steps from an exercise in a book?

[edit]I just noticed that these are supposedly notes. I've never taken any notes in any maths. class (or most classes for that matter). I think it would do you wonders to understand what's happening here rather than deciphering what notes you're missing.[/edit]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2004
  4. Jul 23, 2004 #3
    It was an example the teacher did on the board, but I couldn't copy it down fast enough before it was time to go, so some of the lines I just scribbled and I am pretty sure some of the stuff is missing.

5. Aug 21, 2004 #4
    The solution for this problem

Here the first statement (x=z)it self is the place you all have missed. And it has the soution. Hence you might be starting this formular from the middle.
    Becuse of that x=(y+z)x is your starting point.

xy+xz becomes yz+xz because (x=z;first statement) so you have put z instead of x for xy and you haven't chaned xz which is perfectly correct.

And zy+zx becomes (z+y)z because you can write zy+zx as (y+x)z and it can be writen as (z+y)z just by replacing x with z (x=z;first statement)

If you have a doubt about this or if you have any problem regarding maths please mail me through the following e mail supundikadl@yahoo.co.uk

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?