How to Simplify Boolean Algebra Expressions

In summary, a student is struggling with their Digital Systems coursework due to a lack of examples and guidance from their professor. They are specifically looking for help with simplifying the expression (x'y'+z')' +z +xy+ wz, but have not been able to find an example in the book or lecture notes. Another student suggests using Karnaugh Maps and DeMorgan's Laws to solve the problem, while a third student recommends using a program called Karnaugh Analyzer.
Kbob08
I just started Digital Systems coursework and it seems our professor felt like giving us a book that has no examples and progresses the class with no examples as well. So basically we are stuck trying to learn Boolean algebra reduction with no real guidence.

Great.

Anyways, I'm looking for some help:

Homework Statement

(x'y'+z')' +z +xy+ wz

2. The attempt at a solution

all I can see is this:

(x'y'+z')' +z +xy

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I'm having a very difficult day (IE trying to do all my homework and NONE of it, it seems, I can accomplish, either to my shoddy math skills or lack of guidence).

Anyways,

I really just need how to deal with that first expression:

(x'y'+z')'

There isn't an example in the book and the one example in the lecture notes doesn't include any sort of situaion. I have been trying to guess at it:

[(z+x')(z+y')]'+z +xy
(z+x') + (z+y')+z +xy
z +x' + y'+xy

The book says I should get x + y + z as my answer, but I don't see it. I assume we will learn those maps next since it's in the book, but I'm pretty sure this is the type of prof that wants it done his way and when he says it.

To work on (x'y'+z')', use DeMorgan's Laws:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Morgan's_laws

first expand the x'y' term (express it as an OR of two terms), and then apply the appropriate DeMorgan's Law to take the NOT of the whole expression.

Kbob08 said:
I just started Digital Systems coursework and it seems our professor felt like giving us a book that has no examples and progresses the class with no examples as well. So basically we are stuck trying to learn Boolean algebra reduction with no real guidence.

Great.

Anyways, I'm looking for some help:

Homework Statement

(x'y'+z')' +z +xy+ wz

2. The attempt at a solution

all I can see is this:

(x'y'+z')' +z +xy

(x'y'+z')' +z +xy+ wz
= use de morgan's law, (x.y)' = x' + y' | (x+y)' = x'.y'
= take out the common factor, anything +1 = 1
= z.1 + xy
= z + xy

hope this helps

Last edited:
chickens said:
(x'y'+z')' +z +xy+ wz
= (x'y')'.z + z + xy + wz use de morgan's law, (x.y)' = x' + y' | (x+y)' = x'.y'
= z[(x'y')'+ 1 + w] + xy take out the common factor, anything +1 = 1
= z.1 + xy
= z + xy

hope this helps

I'm going to leave this solution for now because I think Bob has worked it out by now. I'm going to issue chickens a 0-point warning for posting a complete solution to a homework problem, however.

berkeman said:
I'm going to leave this solution for now because I think Bob has worked it out by now. I'm going to issue chickens a 0-point warning for posting a complete solution to a homework problem, however.

didnt know i can't do that, really sorry, next time will post a guided solution rather than a complete one

chickens said:
didnt know i can't do that, really sorry, next time will post a guided solution rather than a complete one

No worries. The PF is a special place. I have a feeling that you'll fit in well here.

hi you can use one very good programs for that .
http://www.phoenixbit.com/site/products.asp?productid=karnaughanalyzer

with that program you can get even the circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Boolean Algebra Reduction?

Boolean Algebra Reduction is a method used to simplify complex Boolean expressions into simpler and more manageable forms. It involves applying various Boolean algebra laws and theorems to reduce the number of terms and operations in an expression.

Why is Boolean Algebra Reduction important?

Boolean Algebra Reduction is important because it helps in simplifying complex logical expressions, making them easier to understand and manipulate. It also helps in reducing the complexity of digital circuits and improving their efficiency.

What are the basic laws of Boolean Algebra?

The basic laws of Boolean Algebra are the Identity Law, Commutative Law, Associative Law, Distributive Law, Absorption Law, Identity Element Law, Complement Law, and Redundancy Law. These laws are used in Boolean Algebra Reduction to simplify logical expressions.

How do you perform Boolean Algebra Reduction?

Boolean Algebra Reduction can be performed by applying the basic laws and theorems of Boolean Algebra, such as De Morgan's Law and the Double Negation Law. These laws allow us to manipulate and simplify expressions by changing the order of terms, combining like terms, and eliminating redundant terms.

What are some applications of Boolean Algebra Reduction?

Boolean Algebra Reduction is widely used in digital logic design, computer science, and computer programming. It is used to simplify logical expressions in digital circuits, simplify Boolean functions in computer programs, and optimize the performance of digital systems.