Boolean Algebra Simplification

In summary, Boolean Algebra Simplification is a process used to simplify logical expressions using a set of rules and techniques. It is important in science as it allows for the analysis and simplification of complex logical systems. The basic rules and techniques include laws of Boolean Algebra, De Morgan's laws, and the use of truth tables and logical identities. It has various real-life applications such as optimizing electronic circuits and decision making. Common mistakes when using Boolean Algebra Simplification include forgetting to apply De Morgan's laws and not simplifying the expression enough.
bd411

Homework Statement

Simplify the following boolean expression:

A'C + A'C'D + ABC + ABC'D

I have a solution but when I checked against a boolean algebra simplifier online it gave me a different answer... is there a glaring mistake below ?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

= A'(C + C'D) + AB(C + C'D)

= A'(C + D) + AB(C + D) = A'C + A'D + ABC + ABD

= C(A' + AB) + D(A' + AB)
= C(A'B + 1) + D(A'B + 1)

= C(1) + D(1) = C + D.

Any help would be much appreciated !

Physics news on Phys.org
bd411 said:
= C(A' + AB) + D(A' + AB)
= C(A'B + 1) + D(A'B + 1)

This isn't correct. Consider that if [itex]A[/itex] is true and [itex]B[/itex] is false, then [itex]A' + AB[/itex] is false, while [itex]A'B + 1[/itex] is always true.

bd411 said:

Homework Statement

Simplify the following boolean expression:

I have a solution but when I checked against a boolean algebra simplifier online it gave me a different answer... is there a glaring mistake below ?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

C(A' + AB) + D(A' + AB)
= C(A'B + 1) + D(A'B + 1) ??

You did so well with (C + C'D) = (C + D) at the start; use the same deal here.

Hmm right so I could say that (A' + AB) = (A' + B)

In which case C(A' + B) + D(A'+B) = A'C + BC + A'D + BD.

I'm a little stumped as to how this simplifies further.

Sorry the answer should be BC + BD + A'C'D !

Last edited:
bd411 said:
Hmm right so I could say that (A' + AB) = (A' + B)

In which case C(A' + B) + D(A'+B) = A'C + BC + A'D + BD.

I'm a little stumped as to how this simplifies further. The answer in front of me says it should be BC + BD + A'B'. I have two of those terms, but I'm having a little trouble extracting A'B' out of A'C + A'D !

I think the answer you have in front of you is wrong. I get the same thing as you, which can be rewritten as (A'+B)(C+D). Wolfram Alpha also agrees.

Great, thanks so much !

You're welcome!:smile:

P.S. To see why BC + BD + A'C'D is incorrect, consider the case where A is false and C is true. To see why BC + BD + A'B' is incorrect, consider the case where both A and C are false.

1. What is Boolean Algebra Simplification?

Boolean Algebra Simplification is a process of simplifying logical expressions using a set of rules and techniques. It is used to reduce a complex logic expression into a simpler form, which is still equivalent to the original expression.

2. Why is Boolean Algebra Simplification important in science?

Boolean Algebra Simplification is important in science because it allows us to analyze and simplify complex logical systems, which can then be used to design and build more efficient and reliable systems. It is commonly used in fields such as computer science, engineering, and mathematics.

3. What are the basic rules and techniques used in Boolean Algebra Simplification?

The basic rules and techniques used in Boolean Algebra Simplification include the laws of Boolean Algebra (such as the commutative, associative, and distributive laws), De Morgan's laws, and the use of truth tables and logical identities.

4. How can Boolean Algebra Simplification be applied in real life?

Boolean Algebra Simplification can be applied in real life in various ways, such as simplifying electronic circuits, optimizing computer algorithms, and designing logical systems. It can also be used in decision making, where logical expressions can represent different conditions or outcomes.

5. What are some common mistakes when using Boolean Algebra Simplification?

Some common mistakes when using Boolean Algebra Simplification include forgetting to apply De Morgan's laws, not using parentheses correctly, and not simplifying the expression enough. It is also important to double-check the final simplified expression to ensure it is equivalent to the original expression.