Boolean Algebra Simplification

In summary, the original statement R can be converted to a form that uses one NAND, one AND, and one OR gate by using de Morgan's theorem and the complement relation.
conorordan

Homework Statement

[itex]R=(A \cdot \overline{B})+(\overline{A} \cdot B)[/itex]​

Using Boolean algebra, including the complement relation [itex]D\cdot \overline{D}=0[/itex], convert R to a form that uses one NAND, one AND and one OR gate (a total of three gates).

Homework Equations

de Morgan's theorem...

[itex]\overline{A+B}=\overline{A}\cdot\overline{B}[/itex]
[itex]\overline{A \cdot B}=\overline{A} + \overline{B}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

By some trial and error I arrived at this;

[itex](\overline{A}+\overline{B})\cdot(A+B)[/itex]

And then using the second of de Morgan's equations on the first OR I got to this;

[itex]\overline{A\cdot B}\cdot(A+B)[/itex]

Which works as a solution, it has one NAND, one AND and one OR, however, I can't just skip to that bit, it's the working out in between that I'm missing, I'm not sure how to fill in the gaps.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can show that the last statement is equivalent to the original one if you work backwards - it is easier in that direction, but the other direction works as well.

1. What is Boolean Algebra Simplification?

Boolean Algebra Simplification is a technique used to simplify complex logical expressions into simpler, equivalent forms. It follows the same rules and laws as traditional algebra, but uses only two values - 0 and 1 - to represent logical statements.

2. Why is Boolean Algebra Simplification important?

Boolean Algebra Simplification is important because it allows us to reduce complex logical expressions into simpler forms that are easier to understand and work with. It is especially useful in the fields of computer science and digital electronics, where logical operations are used extensively.

3. What are the basic rules of Boolean Algebra Simplification?

The basic rules of Boolean Algebra Simplification are the commutative, associative, and distributive laws. These laws dictate how logical expressions can be rearranged and combined to simplify them. Other important rules include the identity and complement laws, which state that certain values will always remain the same or be negated, regardless of the other values in the expression.

4. How is Boolean Algebra Simplification used in real life?

Boolean Algebra Simplification is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as computer programming, digital circuit design, and database querying. It allows for the simplification and optimization of complex logical operations, making them more efficient and easier to implement.

5. What are some common techniques for simplifying Boolean expressions?

There are several techniques for simplifying Boolean expressions, including the use of truth tables, Karnaugh Maps, and algebraic manipulation. These methods can help identify redundant terms, identify patterns, and reduce the overall complexity of the expression.