1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boolean Algebra Simplification

1. Feb 21, 2015 #1
    ab'c + a'b + bc' + abc

= ac + a'b + bc' (How to further reduce this?)

Kmap gives B + AC

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you know about karnaugh maps? The reduction to B + AC is trivial and obvious if you do.

4. Feb 21, 2015 #3
    As in is there a boolean algebra way? Yea i know it can be done in kmap. Just curious

5. Feb 21, 2015 #4
    You can reduce ac + a'b + bc' further using DeMorgan's theorem as a first step.

6. Feb 21, 2015 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sorry, yes, your subject line does say algebraic simplification. As milesyoung said, use deMorgan's theorems.

7. Feb 21, 2015 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

One thing I should add: if you can reduce the complexity of a Boolean statement using a K-map then you can ALWAYS do the same thing algebraically. It would not make any sense for it to be otherwise. It may not be as easy as w/ a K-map but it has got to be doable.

8. Feb 22, 2015 #7

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

First question: do you know De Morgan's theorems?

If you can reduce your logic expression to ac + b.¬(ac) I can give you the next step after that, if needed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted