1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boolean Algebra

1. Jun 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

F= A'C+A'B+AB'C+BC

Express the function as sum of minterms, and find the ninimal sum of products.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

How do I do this? I really don't know. I know it is easy though. Any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2010 #2
    If I had some function:

f(a, b, c) = abc + abc'

then we can perform these logical manipulations:

f(a, b, c) = ab(c + c')

Now, c can either be a 1 or a 0. If c is 1, then c' is 0, and if c is 0, c' is 1. Therefore, the OR of c and c' is always 1, because only one of the arguments needs to be a 1 for OR to return 1. So we can now simplify and write:

f(a, b, c) = ab

So how does this all relate to your first question? Well, you need to perform the reverse to backtrack to the canonical sum of products (sum of min terms). In my example, we'd say:

f(a, b, c) = ab

For every omitted variable, you'd multiply in (that variable + that variable') and then distribute:

f(a, b, c) = ab = ab(c + c') = abc + abc'

another example:

f(a, b, c, d) = ab = ab(c + c')(d + d') = abcd + abcd' + abc'd + abc'd'

And to answer the second part of your question, to arrive to a minimal sum of products, you need to do what i first described: find redundancies, undistribute, and eliminate them. Google k-map for a quick, visual approach to minimizing sums of products.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook