How do boolean expressions relate to algebra?

In summary, Boolean Algebra is a mathematical concept that deals with binary values, representing true and false or on and off. It is often used in computer programming and electrical engineering. Boolean expressions can be evaluated using logical operators such as AND, OR, and NOT. There are also laws and rules that govern these operators, such as Demorgan's Law and Idempotent Law. Boolean Algebra is also used in constructing logical gates, like AND, OR, and NOT gates, which are used to build larger networks for more complex operations.
Problem+Solve=Reason
If anyone knows anything about the basics of Boolean Algebra please tell me what you know. Thanks

----- Life is a problem... SOLVE IT!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
(i think) a (finite) Boolean algebra must have [itex]2^n[/itex] elements, for some [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] and they form a ring:

[tex](\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z}, +, \cdot)[/tex]

They can be thought of as like, an electric switch, which can either be on (allowing the flow of current) or off (preventing it). Similary in a transistor, or television. That is, they have two-states - and we abstract the 'true and false/on and off' like:

Let [itex]\cal{B} = \{[/itex][itex]0,1[/itex][itex]\}[/itex] and define:

[tex] 0+0=0; 0+1=1+0=1+1=1[/tex]
[tex] 0\cdot0=0=1\cdot0=0\cdot1; 1\cdot1=1[/tex]
[tex] \overline{0}=1; \overline{1}=0[/tex]

where [itex]\overline{n}[/itex] indicates the complement of n.

so, [itex]x^2 =x \cdot x=xx=x, \forall x \in\cal {B}[/itex]

how does it work when n is like 8 or 16 though? :confused:

edit: oops sorry! I'm confused and talking about something else? how do you delete posts =/
check out mathworld, the mathematics of boolean algebra (stamford.edu) & wikipedia.

Last edited:
Oh, yes. You're only dealing with ones and zeroes, trues and falses, and other arbitrary abstractations one made.

There're three operators: AND, OR, and NOT. You can just write them with letters if you like or use: ^, V respective ~. Where AND and OR are binary operators and NOT -what it the word? -.

Then they're defined as following:
0 AND 0 = 0
1 AND 0 = 0
0 AND 1 = 0
1 AND 1 = 0

0 OR 0 = 0
1 OR 0 = 1
0 OR 1 = 1

NOT 0 = 1
NOT 1 = 0

Then we also have the XOR operator (eXclusive OR).
0 XOR 0 = 0
1 XOR 0 = 1
0 XOR 1 = 1
1 XOR 1 = 0

That's all I can remember for the moment.

I'm a computer programer, so I work with this a lot. Finding the result of 2 boolean expressions is easy, just think of the 0 as a negative number, and the 1 as a positive. Do the math. Exactly how does boolean logic relate to alg?

Im the master at time!

Gamish said:
Finding the result of 2 boolean expressions is easy, just think of the 0 as a negative number, and the 1 as a positive. Do the math.

Could you please define this approach more rigorously, so that we may actually understand how to "do the math" ?

For instance if 0 -> -x, 1 -> +y, where x,y are positive numbers, what is [0 OR 1] = ?

Note the following corrections/additions (in bold) :

danne89 said:

Then they're defined as following:
0 AND 0 = 0
1 AND 0 = 0
0 AND 1 = 0
1 AND 1 = 1

0 OR 0 = 0
1 OR 0 = 1
0 OR 1 = 1
1 OR 1 = 1

Gamish said:
I'm a computer programer, so I work with this a lot. Finding the result of 2 boolean expressions is easy, just think of the 0 as a negative number, and the 1 as a positive. Do the math. Exactly how does boolean logic relate to alg?

It's interesting, the fact that Boolean algebra was first developed as an abstract idea before the application. (1854 Mr Boole thought it up). He probably thought it would serve no real purpose too! :tongue: If only they were all here today, I remember that one dilbert episode where dilbert's garbageman (the genius) brings Benjamin Franklin back to life and he starts talking about the world wide web and TCP/IP.

If [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], then [itex]{{\cal B}^{n}} = \{({b_1},{b_2},\ldots,{b_n})\vert{b_i} \in \{[/itex][itex]0,1[/itex][tex]\}, 1 <= i <= n \}[/itex] So a function [itex] f:{{\cal B}^n}\longrightarrow{\cal B}[/itex] is a Boolean/Switching function of [itex]n[/itex] variables.

Let [itex] f:{\cal B}^3\longrightarrow\cal{B}[/itex], where [itex]f(x,y,z) = xy+z[/itex] Then:

[tex]
\begin{tabular}{argument}
\hline
x & y & z & xy & f(x,y,z)=xy+z \\
\hline
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 1\\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 1 & 1 & 0 & 1\\
1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
1 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 1\\
1 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 1\\
1 & 1 & 1 & 1 & 1\\
\hline
\end{tabular}
[/tex]

They bow down to the usual laws as well as:

Demorgans Law where
[itex]\overline{x+y} = \overline{x}\overline{y}[/itex]
[itex]\overline{xy} = \overling{x}+\overline{y}[/itex]

Idempotent Law where
[itex]x+y=x[/itex]
[itex]xx=x[/itex]

Dominance Law:
[itex]x+1=1[/itex]
[itex]x\cdot0=0[/itex]

Absorption Law:
[itex]x+xy=x[/itex]
[itex]x(x+y)=x[/itex]

The construction of a logical AND gate would, be a function [itex] \wedge:{\cal B}^2\longrightarrow{\cal B}[/itex] defined by [itex]\wedge(x,y) = xy[/itex] and the logical OR would be [itex] \vee:{\cal B}^2\longrightarrow\cal{B}[/itex] defined by [itex]\vee(x,y) = x+y[/itex], and NOT would just be [itex]\~(x)=\overline{x}[/itex]

An XOR would be [itex]\oplus(x,y)=(x+y)(\overline{xy})[/itex] (i think).

Oooh this looks interesting :bugeye: especially when there are huge networks of gates.

What is Boolean Algebra?

Boolean Algebra is a branch of mathematics and computer science that deals with logic and binary values. It was developed by mathematician George Boole in the mid-19th century and is used to represent and manipulate logical statements and operations.

What are the basic operations in Boolean Algebra?

The basic operations in Boolean Algebra are AND, OR, and NOT. These operations are represented by logical operators, such as ∧ (AND), ∨ (OR), and ¬ (NOT). They are used to combine logical statements and produce a result based on the truth values of the inputs.

How is Boolean Algebra used in computer science?

Boolean Algebra is used in computer science to design and analyze digital circuits and logic gates. It is also used in programming languages to control the flow of execution and to evaluate conditions in conditional statements and loops.

What is the difference between Boolean Algebra and traditional algebra?

Unlike traditional algebra, Boolean Algebra deals with two-valued logic (0 and 1) instead of numerical values. It also uses a different set of rules and symbols for its operations. Additionally, the order of operations is different in Boolean Algebra, with NOT having the highest precedence, followed by AND, and then OR.

What are the applications of Boolean Algebra?

Boolean Algebra has many applications in computer science, such as designing digital circuits, programming, and database querying. It is also used in fields like electronics, telecommunications, and artificial intelligence for its ability to represent and manipulate logical statements and operations.