1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boolean Algebra

1. Sep 10, 2005 #1
    Hi there,

I've never done this type of Algebra... and it's a bit confusing. I've completed this question, but I don't know if I took the right steps...

*=AND, +=OR, '=NOT

If A*B = 0, A+B=1

Prove: (A+C)*(A'+B)*(B+C) = B*C

I expanded it a bit and applied some of the rules. Can someone explain it step by step? I got the answer but I'm a bit confused at how I got the answer.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2005 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(A+C)*(A'+B)*(B+C)
    = (A+C)*(B+C)*(A'+B) (commutation)
    = ((A*B)+C)*(A'+B) (distribution)
    = (0+C)*(A'+B) (substitution A*B = 0)
    = C*(A'+B)

Now I don't know what "rules" you know or how formal you have to be, but you should be able to see that (A'+B) = B given A+B = 1. Clearly, if A'+B = 0, then B = 0. If A'+B = 1, we want B to also necessarily be 1. But suppose it's not, so suppose A'+B=1 but B=0. Then A' = 1, which means A=0. So both A and B would be 0, but we're given A+B = 1, which is a contradiction, so B does indeed have to be 1 if (A'+B) is 1.

4. Sep 16, 2005 #3
    Mhm.. I understood all the steps until the last one...this is what I think...

Since AB = 0 and A+B=1

That leaves us with two choices for A or B. A can either be 0 or 1, and B must be the exact compliment.

Now we're stuck with C(A'+B). *Here's where I'm a bit confused*

If A is 0, B will be 1, then A' + B = 1
    If A is 1, B will be 0, then A' + B = 0

From which of these two can we say C*(A'+B) = B*C?

in otherwords... how does (A'+B) = B?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  5. Sep 16, 2005 #4

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well I've already told you how (A' + B) = B. However, if you didn't follow the explanation, then consider what you said yourself:

A can either be 0 or 1, and B must be the exact compliment.

So B = A', right? So (A' + B) = B + B = B (Idempotence).

6. Sep 16, 2005 #5
    Ah... I think I understand what I just said. A'=B.. then you'd just have to sub it in.

Man, boolean algebra is mighty weird! I just started a week ago, still getting the hang of it. Thanks for your help!

7. Sep 16, 2005 #6
    how about a proof of A'=B

given A*B=0
    (or with A')
    A'+A*B=A'
    (and with B)
    A'*B + A*B*B=A'*B
    => (A'+A)*B=A'*B
    => B=A'*B (1)

given A+B=1
    (and with A') => A'*A + A'*B = A'
    => A'*B = A'

(substitute from (1) ) => B=A'

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?