Doubting Logic: Boolean Matrix Homework Help

• Thread starter noreturn2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's attempt at solving a problem involving Boolean values and matrix multiplication. The summary includes an evaluation of the student's answers and a clarification on how Boolean values are added in matrix multiplication. There is also a disagreement on the calculation of part b and an explanation is requested.
noreturn2

Homework Statement

FjMJidm.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

media%2Fd09%2Fd09fb498-ecfe-475f-b5a1-fbc8fc68c088%2Fphp5JGkPY.png

Does my logic seem right, I'm doubtin my anwsers.

Attachments

• FjMJidm.gif
    FjMJidm.gif
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,680
  • media%2Fd09%2Fd09fb498-ecfe-475f-b5a1-fbc8fc68c088%2Fphp5JGkPY.png
    media%2Fd09%2Fd09fb498-ecfe-475f-b5a1-fbc8fc68c088%2Fphp5JGkPY.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,888
Physics news on Phys.org
noreturn2 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 235016

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 235017
Does my logic seem right, I'm doubtin my anwsers.
Your answers for parts a and b seem OK, but I didn't check that closely, plus you didn't show how the bitwise AND and OR operations are supposed to work.
Your answer to c is incorrect, at least based on how matrix multiplication is normally defined. For the product CC, the upper left entry in the product matrix should be 2, not 1 as you show. This is obtained by calculating the dot product of row 1 of the left matrix with column 1 of the right matrix.

Boolean values can only be 1 or 0.

I think you are right that it is still wrong.

I re did it and I got:
[ 1 1 1
0 1 0
1 1 1]

noreturn2 said:
Boolean values can only be 1 or 0.

I think you are right that it is still wrong.

I re did it and I got:
[ 1 1 1
0 1 0
1 1 1]
I get something else. Here's what I get for ##C^2##.
##\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 1 & 0 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}##
##= \begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 1 & 1 \end{bmatrix}##
The entry in the upper left corner deserves some explanation. The 0 value there is the result of the dot product of row 1 on the left (<1, 0, 1>) with col. 1 on the right (<1, 0, 1>^T). From this I get 1*1 + 0*0 + 1*1 = 2, or 102. Since this is 2 bits, it won't fit into 1 bit, we get 0 for the upper left corner of the product.
I'm assuming that's how you're supposed to be doing multiplication of Boolean values.

Mark44 said:
I get something else. Here's what I get for ##C^2##.
##\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 1 & 0 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}##
##= \begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 1 & 1 \end{bmatrix}##
The entry in the upper left corner deserves some explanation. The 0 value there is the result of the dot product of row 1 on the left (<1, 0, 1>) with col. 1 on the right (<1, 0, 1>^T). From this I get 1*1 + 0*0 + 1*1 = 2, or 102. Since this is 2 bits, it won't fit into 1 bit, we get 0 for the upper left corner of the product.
I'm assuming that's how you're supposed to be doing multiplication of Boolean values.

Well if you have 1*1 on any column that value is autoamtically 1. So if you like at row 1 column one on each that is why I get a 1 in the corner

noreturn2 said:
Well if you have 1*1 on any column that value is autoamtically 1. So if you like at row 1 column one on each that is why I get a 1 in the corner
I agree that 1*1 = 1, but I was talking about 1*1 + 0*0 + 1*1 = 1 + 1 = 2.
That's how ordinary matrix multplication would be done, but you didn't include any information about how the Boolean values are to be added. For example, 0 + 0 = 0, 1 + 0 = 0 + 1 = 1, but what is 1 + 1? In terms of bits, which are essentially Boolean values, 1 + 1 = 0, with a carry of 1.

I do not understand how you calculated part b.
E.g. how do you get that 0 in the second column, first row?

1. What is "Doubting Logic"?

"Doubting Logic" is a concept that refers to the practice of questioning or doubting the validity of logic, particularly in regards to Boolean matrices. It encourages critical thinking and considering alternative perspectives.

2. What is a Boolean matrix?

A Boolean matrix is a mathematical structure that consists of only 0s and 1s. It is often used in computer science and logic to represent logical statements and operations.

3. How can "Doubting Logic" help with Boolean matrix homework?

"Doubting Logic" can help with Boolean matrix homework by encouraging students to think critically about the logic behind their answers and consider alternate solutions. It can also help students identify errors or flaws in their reasoning.

4. Is "Doubting Logic" only applicable to Boolean matrices?

No, "Doubting Logic" can be applied to any logical problem or concept. It is a general approach to critical thinking and questioning the validity of logic.

5. Can "Doubting Logic" be used in other areas of study?

Yes, "Doubting Logic" can be applied to various fields of study. It can be useful in any subject that involves critical thinking and logical reasoning, such as mathematics, philosophy, and even science.