How does the Z-source inverter boost voltage in shoot-through mode?

In summary: On the other hand, I have had some success convincing people to use the more traditional H Bridge based inverters for their AC loads.In summary, the shoot thru mode of a Z source inverter should work the same as a current source inverter, with the added bonus of a boosted voltage.
kiamzattu
Hello Every1

I'm doing a project on PWM Z-source inverter(Forget about the voltage ratings for now). I have a basic doubt in its operation. As we all Know Z-source inverter can provide both Buck and Boost output. For a boost output (in case of 1phase H-Bridge type) we have to fire both the Thyristors of the same leg simultaneously.This is called the shoot through mode Operation of Z-Source inverters. My question is How is the Voltage boosted in this mode? in the same way for a current source inverter if v apply the shoot through mode(It is allowed in CSI) do we get boosted output? Even if the output is boosted across where do we get it? i mean in the shoot through mode of Z-source inverter the inverter bridge is short circuited just as in the Current source inverter. Even in the schematic diagram of Z-source inverter the Inverter bridge in replaced by a current source. So where do v get the Output and How is it boosted in both Z-source inverters and the CSI?

Regards
Anand

PS-Plz help as i hav my project review in a couple of days and still I'm not getting the basics right.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ping @Tom.G can you help? Spring cleaning.

Here is a schematic of a Z-Source Inverter.

Z-Source_Inverter.png

In place of the cross connected L and C, a conventional Inverter would have either a C between the two DC lines for filtering (yielding a Constant Voltage {CV} source), or an L in series with one of the DC lines (yielding a Constant Current {CC} source) to feed the Inverter output switches.

A normal DC-AC inverter would switch On the upper switch in one output leg and the lower switch in the other output leg. The switching frequency determining the output AC frequency, and the duty cycle determining the output voltage.

With a Constant Voltage source you have a buck converter. A Constant Current source gives you a boost converter.

A Z-Source (Constant Impedance source), as in the schematic, allows both buck and boost operation. Buck is by the usual duty cycle variation.

The magic occurs when you want to boost the output voltage. In what would normally be the dead time, both the upper and lower switches, in one or both, leg are turned on at the same time. This is called Shoot-Thru (ST), and in the usual converters often destroys the device.

With the Z-Source configuration this connects the C in parallel with the L and transfers the energy in Cs into the Ls. Since the L is in series with the incoming power, its energy is added to the input as a voltage for the next output half cycle.

A longer and more detailed explanation can be found at:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/f907/973118b053aa68c273a231890049bb59af72.pdf(note: this article was published six years after the original post here asked the question... and then it took us another five years to answer it. oh well, hope it helps someone!)

For those that wish to dig deeper, the above was found with:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=z+source+inverter+working+principle
Cheers,
Tom

• Informative
Likes essenmein and anorlunda
Funny, I've simulated various Z source inverters, on the surface for applications in my field they are very interesting, unfortunately have not been able to convince my company and I guess our customer(s) to try this, too weird looking schematic and they don't believe it can do what the simulations say (keep the thing out of field weakening much longer, way more power etc etc).

What is a Boost Inverter?

A Boost Inverter, also known as a Z-source inverter, is a type of power conversion circuit that combines the functions of both a boost converter and an inverter. It is able to provide a higher voltage output than the input voltage, making it useful for applications such as renewable energy systems and electric vehicles.

How does a Boost Inverter work?

A Boost Inverter uses a unique circuit topology, consisting of a capacitor and inductor placed in series between the input and output of the inverter. This allows for the input voltage to be increased, providing a higher voltage output. The switching of the inverter is controlled by a pulse width modulation (PWM) signal, allowing for precise control of the output voltage.

What are the advantages of a Boost Inverter?

One of the main advantages of a Boost Inverter is its ability to provide a higher voltage output than the input voltage. This makes it suitable for a wide range of applications that require a high voltage, such as renewable energy systems and electric vehicles. Additionally, the unique circuit topology of a Boost Inverter allows for better control of the output voltage and reduced harmonic distortion.

What are the limitations of a Boost Inverter?

One limitation of a Boost Inverter is that it requires a larger number of components compared to other types of inverters, making it more complex and potentially more expensive. It also has a lower efficiency compared to other types of inverters, as the switching of the inverter results in some power losses.

What are the applications of a Boost Inverter?

A Boost Inverter has a wide range of applications, including solar power systems, electric vehicles, and uninterruptible power supplies. It is also used in grid-tied systems for power factor correction and voltage regulation. Its ability to provide a high voltage output makes it suitable for a variety of industries and technologies.