Effect of Voltage Increase on Battery Wattage

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of boosting voltage from 3.7v to 12v on power consumption from a battery. It is stated that power is not solely dependent on voltage and that other factors such as circuitry and knowledge of electronics play a role. It is suggested to use a 12v battery instead of attempting to boost voltage. The conversation also touches on Ohm's Law and the equation for power.
Kussy
If we boost voltage from 3.7v to 12v, is this will affect on watt we consumption from the battery or make your battery discharge faster?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Kussy said:
If we boost voltage from 3.7v to 12v, is this will affect on watt we consumption from the battery or make your battery discharge faster?

Power is not a function of just voltage. What else does it depend on?

Likes 1 person
I have blower 12V 280mAh the power source Battery Li ion 3.7V 2200mAh

Kussy said:

Ok, that's nice, but you didn't answer my question. Do you understand simple circuits? Do you understand Ohms Law? Do you know the equation for power?

I understand that you think you are asking a very simple question, but you are not. It depends on more than you seem to think it does and you have given no indication of your level of understanding of electronics.

Kussy said:

Power is power regardless if you raise the voltage. Perhaps a buck/boost...you can't use a normal transformer in DC. If u raise the voltage, you lower the amps to make same power. If you lower the voltage, you raise the amps to make the same power. The battery should last just as long either way.

But then again, why on Earth would you boost a battery to power a fan? Or are you just talking in hypothetical sillyness as younger folk often do on here?

You could wire four of your batteries in series to make 14.8 volts. (3.7 X 4 =14.8)

Again, why would you? Why not power a 12 volt fan with a 12 volt battery? or perhaps an AC source transformed down to 12 volts?

Quick course for you.
V=IR, Voltage = Current X Resistance
P=IV, Power = Current X Voltage

Look at the P=IV especially...see?

Likes 1 person
I have limit knowledge about power and electronics, psparky about why, because I have limit space and limit weight

phinds said:
Ok, that's nice, but you didn't answer my question. Do you understand simple circuits? Do you understand Ohms Law? Do you know the equation for power?

I understand that you think you are asking a very simple question, but you are not. It depends on more than you seem to think it does and you have given no indication of your level of understanding of electronics.

my knowledge is limit and know its complicated for that reason I am asking I want to reduce my errors

Well, here's the thing. As psparky pointed out, you cannot use a transformer to convert DC to DC voltage, you need a circuit to do it. It is somewhat complicated and not something you want to do if you do not have the knowledge.

If you can BUY a converter then the issue you face is simply whether or not the battery can provide enough power. I think it will, but only for a little while. I agree w/ psparky that you should just use a 12V battery.

Kussy said:
If you buy a module to achieve this it will drain about 1000mA from your battery. So your battery will soon go flat.

Likes 1 person

1. How does increasing voltage affect battery wattage?

Increasing voltage in a battery will also increase the wattage produced. This is because wattage is equal to the product of voltage and current. As voltage increases, the current also increases, resulting in a higher wattage output.

2. Will increasing voltage damage the battery?

Increasing voltage beyond the recommended level can damage the battery. This is because the battery is designed to operate within a specific voltage range, and exceeding this range can cause overheating and potentially lead to permanent damage.

3. What happens to battery life when voltage is increased?

Increasing voltage can decrease the overall lifespan of a battery. This is because higher voltages can lead to increased stress and wear on the battery's components, resulting in a shorter lifespan.

4. Is it more efficient to increase the voltage or the current in a battery?

It is generally more efficient to increase the voltage rather than the current in a battery. This is because increasing the voltage will result in a higher power output without increasing the current draw, which can lead to a longer battery life.

5. Can increasing voltage improve the performance of a battery?

Yes, increasing voltage can improve the performance of a battery in certain situations. For example, in high-power applications, increasing the voltage can provide a higher wattage output, resulting in improved performance. However, it is important to ensure that the battery is designed to handle the increased voltage to prevent damage.