Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boosting the angular momentum vector

1. Jul 10, 2012 #1
    Since the angular momentum vector [itex]\mathbf{J}[/itex] is just a 3-vector, it transforms non-covariantly under Lorentz transformations -- more specifically, boosts generated by [itex]\mathbf{K}[/itex]. Indeed, the commutator reads [itex][J_i,\,K_j]=i\epsilon_{ijk}J_k[/itex].

Under a finite boost, I find the angular momentum vector gets mixed up with the 'boost vector'
    [tex]\mathbf{J}\rightarrow\gamma\left[\mathbf{J}-\left(\frac{\gamma}{\gamma+1}(\mathbf{\beta}\cdot \mathbf{J})\mathbf{\beta}-\mathbf{\beta}\times\mathbf{K}\right)\right][/tex]

(c.f. the Lorentz transformation of the electric field). How do I interpret this result? In which direction does the new angular momentum vector point? It depends on the boost vector?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2012 #2
    The problem is that angular momentum is not a vector. It's a bivector.

What precisely is this boost vector you speak of? Edit: you mean the vector along the 3-velocity of the frame we're boosting into?

At any rate, it's much more elegant to consider angular momentum as a bivector. Then, you just get the result,

[tex]{J'}^{cd} = L_a^c L_b^d J^{ab}[/tex]

where [itex]J^{ab} = x^a p^b - p^a x^b[/itex].
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?