Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Booting cd-rom

1. Aug 18, 2005 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm trying to reinstall windows, but on reboot I can't start from the particular CD-rom (other CD-roms do work on reboot, but I need this one).

It says: Boot CD-ROM type: Non-Emulation Booting
    Press a key if you want to start up your computer from cd-rom...

and then it hangs, the cd-rom never starts. Can I do something in the bios? This cd-rom was used previously to install windows on my computer, but I'm not sure whether we had this same problem and how it was fixed.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

4. Aug 18, 2005 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That looks complicated, I'll wait for my personal advisor to come home before I ruin my laptop :smile:

5. Aug 18, 2005 #4
    Maybe you have to boot from a floppy with CD-ROM driver? :confused:

Its also possible that you burned the CD wrong (if you're using a burned copy that is)

6. Aug 18, 2005 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't have a floppy drive :smile: the CD-rom was not burned, it is an original, the problem is that it's supposed to be for Dell computers only (they didn't give me a CD-rom only a license key, when I bought my computer (windows pre-installed)).

7. Aug 18, 2005 #6
    Well I hope your problem is solved swiftly and promptly :smile:

8. Aug 18, 2005 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I want to use my computer :cry: I already used another CD-rom with, what I thought, XP home edition on it. After the repartitioning, formatting and installing I found out it was XP professional edition so turned the house upside down for the real home edition.. in the meanwhile my computer is soul-less. I do have a complete system backup, but those CDs are at my parents' house.

9. Aug 18, 2005 #8
    Ever given Linux a try?

10. Aug 18, 2005 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, tell me about it (the thought did come up to just install linux, but I really don't know how it works). The idea I have of it, is that it's a lot of work to configure things and make stuff run on linux?

11. Aug 18, 2005 #10
    There is a learning curve, yes. But its fun if you like to play around with computers (like myself) and be in complete control of your system. There are even linux distros that run right off the CD and don't need to be installed onto a computer, such as Knoppix. If you want a feel for linux, I suggest trying Knoppix.

12. Aug 18, 2005 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I did a quiz to find the most compatible http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php these were suggessted for me:

Mandriva ( http://www.mandrivalinux.org/ )
    Mandriva Linux, formerly known as Mandrake Linux, is a friendly Linux Operating System which specializes in ease-of-use for both servers and the home/office. It is freely available in many languages throughout the world.

MEPIS ( http://www.mepis.org/ )
    MEPIS Linux is a desktop Linux system that is also easy to configure as a dedicated server. It is designed for both personal and business purposes. It includes cutting-edge features such as a live/installation/recovery CD, automatic hardware configuration, NTFS partition resizing, ACPI power management, WiFi support, anti-aliased TrueType fonts, a personal firewall, KDE, and much more.

13. Aug 18, 2005 #12
    I've used Mandrive once, back when it was called Mandrake..It was alright, but I'm not too fond of it. Sorry I've never tried MEPIS. You would probably like Ubuntu . I just suggested Knoppix in my earlier post because you don't need to install it or anything, just run it off the CD.

14. Aug 18, 2005 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, since I'm repartitioning my hard drive, would it be smart to make an extra partition at this moment that I can install Linux on in the future if I want to? (so that I have one windows, one linux?) or is that a weird idea.

15. Aug 18, 2005 #14
    Thats what most people seem to do. :smile: I have my 20GB hard drive split with Ubuntu linxu on one partition and Windows XP pro on the other

16. Aug 18, 2005 #15

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cool, how large do you suggest the linux partition needs to be?

17. Aug 18, 2005 #16

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

You don't need to partition anything to run linux. You can run Linux off a LiveCD.

I would recommend Kubuntu for you Monique.

http://www.kubuntu.org/

At the bottom of the screen you'll see Install CD and LiveCD. Get the liveCD and burn it to see how you like it before partitioning your drive. It will be slower since it has to load up everything into ram, but you can get a good idea of how things work.

They have dutch support if you want it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  18. Aug 18, 2005 #17
    10GB + swap sounds reasonable

19. Aug 18, 2005 #18

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That little green dragon is soooo cute!! :approve: So why do you think Kubuntu is good for me (I never knew that linux is not one system).

20. Aug 18, 2005 #19

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Partitioning goes something like this:

512MB swap
    32MB /boot
    10GB or More /

If you decide to dual boot linux and windows make sure to install windows first, then during the linux installation when it asks you where you want to put grub, make sure you tell it to put it on the boot parition, not the MBR.

21. Aug 18, 2005 #20

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?