Bored in math class, figured out mixture problems.

In summary, to make 100 gallons of a 40% chlorine mixture, you need 60 gallons of 30% chlorine and 40 gallons of 55% chlorine. This is found by calculating the ratio of 30 and 55, which is 3:2, and multiplying that by the total amount of mixture needed (60:40). This results in a total of 100 gallons of a 40% chlorine mixture.
Blahness
Mixture problem example: You need parts of a 30% chlorine and 55% chlorine mixture to make 100 gallons of a 40% chlorine. mixture.

To figure out what the ratio of 30 to 55 is: 55% - 40% = 15 parts needed of 35% mixture, 40% - 30% = 10 parts of 50% mixture.

15 parts of 30% reduces to 3 parts of 30%
10 parts of 55% reduces to 2 part of 55%

Then you take the ratio of the two (3:2), and multiply the ratio to get 60 gallons of the 30%, and 40 gallons of the 55%. (60:40)

Make sense to anyone? I'm not sure how I do the ratio part for fraction answers, but I have the beginning part out.

If already done, sue me. I figured it out in my own spare 10 minutes of class.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's easier to understand if you proceed that way:

The mixture z is composed of mixture y and mixture x. We know that z=100 Gallons. That gives x+y=100. You want to find x and y such as 30x/100 + 55y/100=40

So y=100-x

30x + 55(100-x)/100=40
30x + 5500 -55x=4000
-25x=-1500
x=60

so y=40

Great job on figuring out mixture problems! Your explanation and example make sense and show a clear understanding of the concept. To find the ratio for fraction answers, you can use the same method of subtracting and reducing, but instead of using whole numbers, you would use fractions. For example, if you needed 3/4 of a 30% mixture and 2/4 of a 55% mixture, the ratio would be 3:2. Keep up the good work in math class!

1. Why do I get bored in math class?

There could be several reasons why you may feel bored in math class. It could be because you find the subject difficult and not engaging enough, or maybe the teaching style of your teacher is not suited to your learning style. It could also be because you are not challenged enough and feel like the material is too easy for you.

2. What are mixture problems in math?

Mixture problems in math involve finding the ratio or proportion of different ingredients or substances in a given mixture. These types of problems are commonly found in algebra and require the use of equations and formulas to solve.

3. How can I make math class more interesting?

There are several ways to make math class more interesting. You can try to engage in the class by participating in discussions and asking questions, or you can find creative ways to solve problems. You can also try to relate math concepts to real-life situations to make them more relevant and interesting.

4. How do I solve mixture problems?

To solve mixture problems, you first need to identify the given quantities and what is being asked in the problem. Then, you can set up an equation or use a formula to find the unknown quantity. It is important to pay attention to the units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem. Finally, solve the equation and check your answer to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. What can I do if I am ahead in math class?

If you find yourself ahead in math class, you can speak to your teacher and ask for additional challenging material or problems. You can also consider exploring more advanced topics or areas of math that interest you. Additionally, you can use your extra time to review and practice previous concepts to strengthen your understanding of the subject.