Boreks go North

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Number 3 from the bottom should be Stiftsgaarden in Trondheim..

Borek
Mentor
Number 3 from the bottom should be Stiftsgaarden in Trondheim..

Sorry, it wasn't on our way. But pictures are posted in chronological and topological order, once you will find out where is the yellow church there is basically only one way that we could follow, and the building sits right next to the road. Actually it sits left next to the road.

So far Andre is right in each case :smile:

Borek
Mentor
That's it. I had a nice hint: picture was taken when we were going in å direction. But obviously it is no longer needed :smile:

Seems like others are too difficult. Airport was opened in 1977 and is about 20 km from one of the guessed landmarks. The yellow building was a military object, but has been converted to school. Old building we have seen on our way to Lofoten, while the wild man was already in Sweden (there is an almost identical image in wikimedia).

Yes maybe the Valan airport was tough because of the compressed perspective, virtually hiding the the ocean

I think Borek will drive in a giant circle. From what I've been able to ascertain, he started out in Poland, drove through North Eastern countries Lithuania, Latvia, Russia, Finland, and now wound up in Norway?

The next step would be turning back to Sweden and going South through Denmark, Germany, and back to Poland...

Borek
Mentor
Andre: yes, that's Valan.

Waht: circle around Baltic was more or less the idea, but not through Denmark/Germany - we will go by ferry from Sweden to Poland. Not sure when yet.

Borek
Mentor
Expensive, more expensive, Norwegian :eek:

The most common nation at campings - apart from natives - Netherlanders. Each time I see NL I think about Andre :smile:

I am writing the diary all the time, but it is not that easy - when I have no access to the internet I can't check facts (like correct spelling of the place name) and I don't want to post them wrong, so while writing is done almost in the real time, final corrections are about two weeks behind :frown:

Besides, I still don't know what it is that you do with the tent before you can get inside :wink: You put it up? Unfold?

Edit: Oh, and big thank you to all of you missing us :blushing: We miss you too :smile:

TubbaBlubba
Norway is horribly, HORRIBLY expensive, yeah.

fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
To "pitch" a tent, or "set up camp" works, I think.

Borek
Mentor
OK, we are back, a little bit earlier than expected, after making 8600km. But I have no internet at home, it should be fixed in 48 hours :frown:

Welcome back Borek. I hope you get settled soon.

I've had that problem too once, Came home, and meanwhile they had increased the internet speed to above the specifications of my old modem.

Borek
Mentor
Finally everything works as it should.

Landmarks from the last few days:

borki019.jpg

borki020.jpg

borki021.jpg

borki022.jpg

We are still fighting the mess created when we unpacked the car, but I am slowly getting to the point when I will be able to browse the pictures and post more about the trip. As of now - short summary. 8600 km (5340 miles) in 27 days - that means 318 km (197 miles) daily on average, at 6.55 L per 100 km (35.9 mpg). Surprisingly good, but that was in Scandinavia, where they drive pretty slow, and without AC, as it is rarely hot that far North. Trip to the southern edges of Europe won't be that economical. We did more and faster than expected, but I feel like that was a mistake - we should stop more, especially in the first two weeks.

fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
WB Borek and Marzena! Look forward to reading more about it! Is the second one down from Alta again?

Borek
Mentor
Is the second one down from Alta again?

No, it is about 1400 km away from Alta.

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
The stone carving might be from the Vitlycke Museum in Sweden, or possibly, Undersløs.

Stone carvings are quite common in mid/southern Sweden, and also in south-eastern Norway.

Borek
Mentor
The stone carving might be from the Vitlycke Museum in Sweden

Vitlycke Museum it is. But I am quite surprised you have not named the first place :smile:

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Vitlycke Museum it is. But I am quite surprised you have not named the first place :smile:

As for the first, it MIGHT be a portion of some stave church, but it could also be a portion of Frognerseteren Restaurant (if my memory doesn't play me a trick..)

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Strangely enough, if it IS a stave church, it looks a bit like Borgund. But surely, you weren't there??

Perhaps Lom stave church?

Arrgh, I dunno, I think I'll stick with my restaurant here in Oslo (or, possibly, the stave church at Bygdø Folklore Museum??)

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
NO!!

I think I've got it!

You Poles stole a Norwegian stave church from us back in the 19th century.
It is located in Karpacz (or whatever).
It is probably that war booty from the Polish-Norwegian war (1837-1843)

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
NO!!

I think I've got it!

You Poles stole a Norwegian stave church from us back in the 19th century.
It is located in Karpacz (or whatever).
It is probably that war booty from the Polish-Norwegian war (1837-1843)

How do you steal a church :confused:?

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
How do you steal a church :confused:?
Ask the Poles. They know how to steal..staves.