Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Borel family

1. Jan 20, 2008 #1
    Can anybody suggest how to write an open interval (a,b) as a combination(union, intersection and compliment) of closed intervals of the form [c,d] and vice versa.
    What if closed intervals are half closed as following (-inf, f]. 'f' being rational.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What about something like

[tex](a, b)^C = (-\infty, a] \cup [b, \infty) [/tex]

4. Jan 24, 2008 #3
    Probably you mean not a finite combination, but the union of an infinite sequence, like
    [tex](a,b) = [a+1,b-1] \cup [a-0.5,b+0.5] \cup\dots[/tex]

5. Jan 25, 2008 #4
    I think both of them are right. I was initially confused whether to consider (-inf,a] as closed set or not.
    Thanks.

6. Jan 25, 2008 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not, and it's not open either. But I kind of hoped you would see how to write (-inf, a] as a union of closed sets. And I don't think a finite combination is possible, since any finite union or intersection of closed sets is closed, right?

7. Jan 25, 2008 #6
    Intersection, not union here. Assuming the first one on the right side was supposed to be [a-1,b+1] then this union is equal to [a-1,b+1].

8. Jan 25, 2008 #7
    It should be closed, as it is the complement of an open set (a, inf) which is open.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?