1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Borel family

1. Jan 20, 2008 #1
    Can anybody suggest how to write an open interval (a,b) as a combination(union, intersection and compliment) of closed intervals of the form [c,d] and vice versa.
    What if closed intervals are half closed as following (-inf, f]. 'f' being rational.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What about something like

[tex](a, b)^C = (-\infty, a] \cup [b, \infty) [/tex]

4. Jan 24, 2008 #3
    Probably you mean not a finite combination, but the union of an infinite sequence, like
    [tex](a,b) = [a+1,b-1] \cup [a-0.5,b+0.5] \cup\dots[/tex]

5. Jan 25, 2008 #4
    I think both of them are right. I was initially confused whether to consider (-inf,a] as closed set or not.
    Thanks.

6. Jan 25, 2008 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not, and it's not open either. But I kind of hoped you would see how to write (-inf, a] as a union of closed sets. And I don't think a finite combination is possible, since any finite union or intersection of closed sets is closed, right?

7. Jan 25, 2008 #6
    Intersection, not union here. Assuming the first one on the right side was supposed to be [a-1,b+1] then this union is equal to [a-1,b+1].

8. Jan 25, 2008 #7
    It should be closed, as it is the complement of an open set (a, inf) which is open.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?