Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boric oxide

1. Nov 11, 2004 #1
    When I react CO2 with CaO I get CaCO3. If I react boric oxide with CO2 would it react similarly like the other one?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Boric oxide (B2O3) may be amphoteric. If it is, then you might expect a similar reaction ...but if it's only an acidic oxide, I doubt that you'll have a reaction.

I'm probably wrong on this...let's wait for the experts to come along...

4. Nov 11, 2004 #3
    so would I get B2CO4?

5. Nov 12, 2004 #4
    Boric oxide's acidic, so you aren't likely to get any reaction, and even if you did the product would be unstable and would easily decompose back to boric oxide and carbon dioxide.

6. Nov 12, 2004 #5

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pyrovus is right. I have no knowledge on boric oxide , but the nearest compound is boric acid, [itex] \displaystyle H_3BO_3[/itex], or better written as [itex]\displaystyle B(OH)_3[/itex]. However, borax, [itex]\displaystyle Na_2B_4O_7 [/itex] is a cage-framework polyboric oxide. If you react this one with carbon dioxide, sodium carbonate will probably formed, resulting a cleavage inside the cage.

7. Nov 12, 2004 #6
    so i wouldn't get similar react I would just get no reaction?

8. Nov 12, 2004 #7

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You'd better look up Lux' Acid and Base concept; non protonic compounds (very generally, oxides) can behave acid or base according to some rules. In here, I presume that carbon dioxide is the acid, and boric oxide is also acidic; that's why I am doubtful about any reaction, like Gokul.

9. Nov 15, 2004 #8
    Boron is amphoteric:

"MATERIAL OVERVIEW

"Characteristics: Nonmetallic element, black, hard solid; brown, amorphous powder; crystals. Highly reactive. Soluble in concentrated nitric acid and sulfuric acid; insoluble in water, alcohol, and ether. High neutron absorption capacity. Low toxicity. Amphoteric...."

http://www.espimetals.com/metals/catboron.htm

However, I don't think that necessarily means that PARTICULAR oxide will form both acids and bases.

10. Nov 15, 2004 #9

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In building up a compound, elemental properties drastically change. So we cannot devise a logic from there. Look at the example of water; hydrogen is a flammable gas, oxygen is a ignitor gas; water is a extinguisher.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?