Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Borland c++ vs visual c++

1. Aug 8, 2006 #1
    I need to know if there is a difference between programming in borland c++ and microsoft visual c++.net. Are the two languages compatable or did microsoft introduce some new syntax?

Can I learn just the borland version without worrying about using the visual version later? Which versions are syntax compatible?

I need to know so that I can use visual c++ for windows applications whilst using borland c++ for OS independant programs. Does this make sense?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2006 #2
    depends on if you make your code compiler independent or platform independent. Figure out what code schemes are common between both and which are not.
  4. Aug 8, 2006 #3

Staff: Mentor

At least for compatibility with 3rd party drivers, we've found the MSVC++ to be much easier to get to work with our software. I'm mostly a HW guy, so sorry that I can't offer anything more helpful than that. Kind of too bad too, since I work in Silicon Valley and watched Borland's rise (on top of the hill towards Santa Cruz).
  5. Aug 16, 2006 #4
    first of all don't confuse msv c++ with msv c++.net. .net is a runtime environment with it's own set of libraries apart from the libraries you use when programming ms windows applications.

if you want to program a windows app, you may use ms visual studio or borland c++ (i'm not sure if you're referring to borland c++ builder which is a RAD IDE). There may be syntactical differences across IDEs but the library methods that you will use should be the same. Now when programming .net apps, you may use any .net compiler. Of course there's ms visual studio .net, borland delphi.net, etc.

Other OSes use different libraries, meaning you can use C++ (language), but you have to use a different set of libraries. If you want to develop cross platform apps, you can always us Java.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?