1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Born Theory - Finding the value of Z (solvation of ions)

1. Oct 18, 2012 #1

Wek

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What's the energy for transfer from
    ε=1 to water with r=2.5Å
    ε=1 to water with r=5Å.

2. Relevant equations

ΔG = (1/2)*(Z^2/r)*[(1/e1)-(1/e2)]

3. The attempt at a solution

ΔG = (1/2)*(Z^2/2.5)*[(1/80)-(1/1)]

However, I am stuck on the Z variable. Do I assume Z is 1 for a monovalent ion? I am not given any other information. The previous question (not related I think) does not say anything about the ion either.

Also, from an article I was reading, the was a calculation of the energy needed to transport a K+ ion into a membrane using the same equation. I tried to solve for the Z value but it was not 1 even though K+ is a monovalent ion.

EDIT: I had the Z symbol confused. I think it's the atomic number but I still cannot get the numbers in the article (my number is a bit higher).

EDIT 2: It seems like the article rounded up 0.4875 to 0.5. If I use 0.5 I can get the same numbers they did but I don't understand why they would round up the number.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?