Born Theory - Finding the value of Z (solvation of ions)

In summary, the Born theory is a mathematical model used in physical chemistry to calculate the solvation energy of ions in a solvent. It uses the Coulomb potential energy equation to determine the effective charge of the ion in the solvent, which is important for understanding the ion's solubility and reactivity. The value of Z in the Born theory can be affected by factors such as ion size and charge, solvent properties, and temperature. This theory has many practical applications, including the development of new solvents and ionic liquids, predicting solubility and reactivity, and studying biomolecule interactions.
Wek

Homework Statement

What's the energy for transfer from
ε=1 to water with r=2.5Å
ε=1 to water with r=5Å.

Homework Equations

ΔG = (1/2)*(Z^2/r)*[(1/e1)-(1/e2)]

The Attempt at a Solution

ΔG = (1/2)*(Z^2/2.5)*[(1/80)-(1/1)]

However, I am stuck on the Z variable. Do I assume Z is 1 for a monovalent ion? I am not given any other information. The previous question (not related I think) does not say anything about the ion either.

Also, from an article I was reading, the was a calculation of the energy needed to transport a K+ ion into a membrane using the same equation. I tried to solve for the Z value but it was not 1 even though K+ is a monovalent ion.

EDIT: I had the Z symbol confused. I think it's the atomic number but I still cannot get the numbers in the article (my number is a bit higher).

EDIT 2: It seems like the article rounded up 0.4875 to 0.5. If I use 0.5 I can get the same numbers they did but I don't understand why they would round up the number.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. In order to calculate the energy for transfer from ε=1 to water with r=2.5Å and ε=1 to water with r=5Å, we can use the following formula:

ΔG = (1/2)*(Z^2/r)*[(1/e1)-(1/e2)]

Where:
- ΔG is the energy for transfer
- Z is the charge of the ion (in this case, we can assume it to be 1 for a monovalent ion)
- r is the distance between the ion and the water molecule (in this case, we have two different distances, 2.5Å and 5Å)
- e1 is the dielectric constant of the medium the ion is being transferred from (in this case, it is ε=1)
- e2 is the dielectric constant of the medium the ion is being transferred to (in this case, it is also ε=1)

Therefore, our calculations would look like this:

For r=2.5Å:
ΔG = (1/2)*(1^2/2.5)*[(1/1)-(1/1)]
ΔG = 0.2 kcal/mol

For r=5Å:
ΔG = (1/2)*(1^2/5)*[(1/1)-(1/1)]
ΔG = 0.1 kcal/mol

As for the Z value, it represents the charge of the ion. In the case of a monovalent ion, such as K+, the Z value would be 1. However, it is important to note that the Z value can vary depending on the ion being transferred. In your case, it seems like the article you were reading was using a different ion with a different Z value, which is why you were getting different numbers.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is the Born theory?

The Born theory is a mathematical model used in physical chemistry to calculate the solvation energy of ions in a solvent. It takes into account the interactions between the ion and the surrounding solvent molecules to determine the ion's solvation energy.

2. How does the Born theory calculate the solvation energy of ions?

The Born theory uses the Coulomb potential energy equation, which takes into account the charges and distances between the ion and the solvent molecules. This equation is then solved for the value of Z, which represents the effective charge of the ion in the solvent.

3. What is the significance of finding the value of Z in the Born theory?

The value of Z in the Born theory represents the effective charge of the ion in the solvent. This value is important because it affects the ion's solubility and reactivity in the solvent. It also provides insight into the strength of the ion-solvent interactions.

4. What factors can affect the value of Z in the Born theory?

The value of Z in the Born theory can be affected by several factors, such as the size and charge of the ion, the dielectric constant of the solvent, and the temperature of the solution. These factors can alter the strength of the ion-solvent interactions and therefore impact the value of Z.

5. How is the Born theory used in practical applications?

The Born theory is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the development of new solvents for industrial processes, the design of new ionic liquids for energy storage, and the prediction of solubility and reactivity of ions in different solvents. It is also used in the study of biomolecules and their interactions with solvent molecules.