1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Borrowing energy?

1. Jun 16, 2008 #1
    In my readings, I keep seeing what people refer to as a particle "borrowing" or "loaning" energy, and quickly giving it back.

And I'm totally lost.

Quantum mechanics has always eluded my understanding, but just grasping this "borrowed energy" thing would help I suppose.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2008 #2
    Because of the uncertainty principle, energy only effectively needs to be conserved on large time scales (large in a relative sense). This means that for a very (very very) short period of time, you can have more energy than you did previously--which is generally refered to as "borrowed energy"-- but conservation of energy requires that it be "given back" within a certain period of time.

To go into a little more detail: you're still never actually violating conservation of energy -- there are just small times scales in which the energy doesn't have a definite value, in which case small fluctuations are allowed. The smaller the time-scale, the larger the fluctuations. If you're familiar with the more common uncertainty principle for position and momentum DelX*DelP >= hBar / 2 ---> energy and time have a synonymous relation: DelE * DelT >= hBar / 2. Both of these uncertainty relations come from the generalized uncertainty principle that refers to how any 2 observables interact.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?