What is the significance of a 'macroscopic number' in Bose-Einstein condensates?

• A
  • Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bose-einstein
In summary, the book "A Quantum Approach to Condensed Matter Physics" by Taylor and Heinonen discusses the phenomenon of Bose-Einstein condensation, which is a phase transition that occurs in the absence of inter-particle forces. This is defined by a temperature Tc, where the zero-energy state is occupied by a macroscopic number of particles, meaning a significant number of particles in the system are in the ground state. The mathematical definition of a macroscopic number of particles is that the ratio of the number of particles to the volume of the system remains finite as the volume approaches infinity. In practical terms, Bose-Einstein condensates can easily be made with 10^6-10^7 atoms.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
In the book A Quantum Approach to Condensed Matter Physics by Taylor and Heinonen they write the following passage on page 87:

Thus there is a temperature ##T_c##, defined by ##N_0(T_c)=N##, below which the zero-energy state is occupied by a macroscopic number of particles. This phenomenon is known as the Bose-Einstein condensation, and is remarkable in being a phase transition that occurs in the absence of inter-particle forces.

Now I don't understand what does it mean "macroscopic number", how many particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
It means that ##N/N_0 = O(N_0^0)## if N is the number of particles in the condensate and ##N_0## the total number of particles, or, easier, ##N =O(N_0)##.

Last edited:
@DrDu the total number of particles in where? (in the universe, just outside the condensate, it's not clear to me).

So obviously, ##N=aN_0## where ##0<a<1##.

First, I don't know whether my use of ##N## and ##N_0## coincides with the one from your book.
I consider ##N_0## to be the number of all particles in the substance you are considering while ##N## is the number of particles in the "condensate", i.e. the number of particles in the ground state, or, more generally if the particles are interacting, the lowest eigenvalue of the 1-density matrix.

It just means a significant number of the particles in the system are in the groundstate, say half of them.

Likes Spinnor
MathematicalPhysicist said:
In the book A Quantum Approach to Condensed Matter Physics by Taylor and Heinonen they write the following passage on page 87:
Now I don't understand what does it mean "macroscopic number", how many particles?

The mathematical definition of a macroscopical number of particles is that the ratio Number of particles N to the volume V of the system remains finite as V goes to infinity i.e. the density of particles is finite in the thermodynamic limit.

##\gg 1##

Demystifier said:
##\gg 1##
2 is enough or we need ##\infty##?
:cool:

2 is enough or we need ##\infty##?
:cool:
How many grands of sand do you need to make a pile?

Condensates can easily be made with 106-107 atoms.

DrClaude said:
How many grands of sand do you need to make a pile?
one.

1. What is a Bose-Einstein condensate (BEC)?

A Bose-Einstein condensate is a state of matter that occurs when a group of bosons, particles with integer spin, are cooled to temperatures near absolute zero. At this temperature, the bosons lose their individual identities and start to behave as a single, coherent entity.

2. What is a 'macroscopic number' in a BEC?

A 'macroscopic number' in a BEC refers to the large number of bosons that make up the condensate. This number is typically on the order of billions or trillions of particles.

3. Why is a macroscopic number significant in a BEC?

The significance of a macroscopic number in a BEC lies in the fact that it allows for the collective behavior of the particles to emerge. This behavior is governed by quantum mechanics and leads to unique properties such as superfluidity and coherence.

4. How is a macroscopic number achieved in a BEC?

A macroscopic number is achieved in a BEC by cooling a gas of bosonic particles to extremely low temperatures, typically below 1 microkelvin. This causes the particles to lose their thermal energy and condense into a single quantum state.

5. What applications does a BEC with a macroscopic number have?

BECs with a macroscopic number have potential applications in precision measurements, quantum computing, and studying fundamental physics. They can also be used to create ultra-cold atoms for studying quantum phenomena and simulating complex systems in condensed matter physics.