1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bose-Einstein Condensation & de Broglie wavelength

1. Apr 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Bose-Einstein condensation of a fluid occurs when the de Broglie wavelength of a "typical" particle becomes greater than the average nearest-neighbor distance. One can interpret the momentum in the de Broglie equation as
    [itex]p=\sqrt{<p^{2}>}[/itex]
    where [itex] <p^{2}>[/itex] means the thermal average for a single particle

(a) Write down the de Broglie equation and use the above to obtain an approximate expression for the Bose-Einstein condensation temperature [itex]T_{B}[/itex] in terms of the particle density (N/V), the particle mass m, Boltzmann's constant k and Planck's constant h

(b)For temperatures T less than the transition temperature [itex]T_{B}[/itex], the fraction, f, of particles in the ground state (f=N(0)/N) is a number between zero and one. Find the chemical potential, [itex]\mu[/itex] to order 1/N as a function of T when [itex] T <<T_{B} [/itex]. Assume the ground state energy is zero.

2. Relevant equations
    de Broglie momentum: [itex] p= \frac{h}{\lambda} [/itex]
    Boltzmann distribution function: [itex] <n_{s}> = \frac{1}{e^{(\mu - \epsilon)\beta} - 1} [/itex]
    where [itex]\beta = \frac{1}{kT}[/itex]
    Energy: [itex] E = \frac{p^{2}}{2m} [/itex]
    Expectation value: [itex] <A> = \Sigma_{s} A <n_{s}> [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I interpreted the average nearest-neighbor distance to be the ratio of the number of particles, N, and the volume, V, to the 1/3 power, [itex] \lambda > \frac{N}{V^{1/3}} [/itex].
    Put this into our equation for momentum:
    [itex] p < \frac{h V^{1/3}}{N} [/itex]
    But we have been told [itex]p=\sqrt{<p^{2}>}[/itex], thus [itex] <p^{2}> <(\frac{h V^{1/3}}{N})^{2} [/itex].
    Now we can use the energy-momentum relationship to find [itex] <E> < \frac{1}{2m}(\frac{h V^{1/3}}{N})^{2} [/itex].
    So the question comes down to how to approximate the expected energy for a single particle in state with possible states s. Normally, I would use the expected value function above and go through the approximation using density of states and find a function for the chemical potential and then finally solve for temperature. I just can't kick the feeling that there is an easier way. This was taken from a previous comprehensive exam, so I should be able to do it without notes in about an hour (or at least most of the problem). Is there a trick I'm missing?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted