1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bose-Einstein physics question

1. Jan 22, 2008 #1
    Suppose that [tex] M [/tex] molecules are distributed among two urns; and at each time point one of the molecules it chosen at random, removed from its urn, and placed in the other one. So this is a time-reversible Markov process right?

So [tex] P_{i,i+1} = \frac{M-i}{M} [/tex]. What do the limiting probabilities mean in words?

Like [tex] \pi_0 = \left[ 1 + \sum_{j=1}^{M} \frac{(M-j+1) \cdots (M-1)M}{j(j-1) \cdots 1} \right ]^{-1} [/tex]

[tex] = \left [\sum_{j=0}^{M} \binom{M}{j} \right]^{-1} = \left(\frac{1}{2} \right)^{M} [/tex]

and [tex] \pi_i = \binom{M}{i} \left(\frac{1}{2} \right)^{M}, \ i = 0,1, \ldots, M [/tex].

What do these really signify?

Source: Introduction to Probability Models by Sheldon Ross

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2008 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Limiting probability of a state-transition probability is a probability value that the state-transition probability converges to, as the number of steps approaches infinity.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markov_chain

4. Jan 23, 2008 #3

ssd

I am not sure though, but the significance appears as-
    The stated scheme in the long run is equivalent to distribute M distinguishable particles
    in two urns where each particle has probability 1/2 to go into an urn. Pai(i) is the probability that one specified urn will contain i particles. That is, in the stated scheme, whatever be the initial distribution of particles in the urns, in a long run they will be distributed as in case of a Binomial distribution.

5. Jan 23, 2008 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Usually a transition probability is expressed as p(i,j) where i and j are the two states. p(i,j) = Prob{X(n+1) = i given X(n) = j}.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?