Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bosnian Pyramids

1. Apr 19, 2006 #1
    Confirmed evidence of a 720 ft high step pyramid in VISOKO, Bosnia-Herzegovina. The photos don't exactly prove very much so we're going by what we're told.

There are also 2 smaller suspected pyramids associated and connected by tunnel to the larger of the three in Bosnia.

Pyramids and associated structures appear to have been built stratigically throughout the world.... is this an ancent form of a Global Positioning System or what!:eek:?

Is the technology used to build these pyramids from one source-civilization or has the technology been arrived at independently by separate, isolated civilizations?
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2006 #2
    Here's a closer look at one of the pieces on the pyramid.

There is a shot from a distance on this link of the hill formed by the pyramid.

Here's what they think the layout looks like at the valley site.

There is a project under way that started April 14th, 2006 that is promising to be the largest archaeological excavation in Europe this year. Here is the index page for all of the above links. Totally exciting I must say.

Damn good for tourism.

Additional Evidence that the Mounds Visocica and Pljesevica, near Visoko in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Represent Ancient Colossal Stone Structures

Two researchers using ultra-modern satellite imaging believe they have confirmed a discovery of huge, ancient buildings, which may be the first European pyramids, buried in a rugged, mountainous area, near the town of Visoko in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  4. Apr 24, 2006 #3

I don't know if its the modified english or the obscure nature of the photographs describing this "archaeological" find in Bosnia but... I'm not convinced the thing is real or unreal... yet.

I sort of want a large team of international archaeologists to report on this one. It would be nice to fly over there and see it for one's self. If either of these scenarios comes true I'll post the results here. Thank you for your expressed and unexpressed interest in this, thus far, unorthidox affair.
  5. Apr 24, 2006 #4
    I held off posting here for that reason. It's quite a story—pyramid-shaped hills, smooth rocks on the face, tunnels, etc. On the other hand, I'm uneasy about Osmanagic's grand conclusions based on superficial evidence. In all the pictures on the Net, I haven't seen any "geometrically cut" rocks. He gives the age of the "pyramid" as old as 12,000 years, but nowhere does it say what he bases that on. (One site quoted him as saying it might be only 3,000 years old, but everywhere else I see him giving the 10,000-12,000 year figure.) The tunnel I've seen in the pictures looks remarkably well-preserved. Don't tunnels deteriorate and cave in after a while? I also found out that there is a petition circulating calling for a stop to Osmanagic and his "sham".

If the pyramid is genuine, that will be proven. Until then, he would do us all a favour by zipping his lips.

(I thought that the "pyramids" might possibly be some sort of glacial moraine, but I haven't been able to find anything that would suggest that.)
  6. Apr 24, 2006 #5
    Its a bit much. But, if he truely believes what he's saying he's basically promoting his idea and advertising for investment of resource. Over and over again like a Tide commercial.

Conclusively no one can confirm that the Sphynx or any other proported megalithic structure is for real until they go and climb on the thing and breath its dust etc...

The cool thing about capitalism and the democratic management of capitalism is that you and I are pretty well assured of a crack at taking-off and gaining a first hand experience of these reported wonders of the world. Yippee!
  7. Apr 25, 2006 #6
    Yeah, I suppose that was a bit strong. I'm sure he believes it strongly, but he might be letting that influence his conclusions. I'm not saying it is, it just has that air about it. Generating interest to raise funds is one thing, but he seems to be going over the top. Whatever the case, my conclusion of him is based on just as superficial evidence, so I'm as guilty. I hope he's right, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'll pass it by my wife. :rolleyes:
  8. Apr 25, 2006 #7
    Here there's some mention of German archaeologists and some "Anthropologists" on this Balkin Update site from April 23. So the investigation has an 'international' flavour to it.

We can mention German Archaeologists but don't mention zee war...... if we can believe there are WMDs in Babylon, then I suppose we can believe there are German Archaeologists studying the areas surrounding the small town of Visocica.
  9. Apr 28, 2006 #8

Looks like its going international. Hot Diggity Dawg:tongue2:
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
  10. Apr 29, 2006 #9

Well, i have been to Visoko and i have been at the site. There is no reason for me to believe that there is nothing under that hill. If you look at the pictures...the stones which could have not been shaped by nature is so far the best proof of the existance of the "pyramid". Maybe it is not...baybe it is just the ruins of some old ancient city nobody new about.
    Either way, it is a fantastic dicovery. I am just surprised by some million negative comments all over the internet about Mr. Osmanagic and his work. Jelousy? Many are afraid and worried because the "History" will have to be written again. Mr. Osmanagic has been attacked by many but, he is proving his work as the excavation continues! The "experts" are calling Mr. Osmanagic an "amateur" but somehow the pyramid was sitting right under the experts' noses and it did not catch their eye:surprised Bosnia is the center of all ancient civilzations and that is the "main" problem.

I am posting a few pics and there are many more........!

11. Apr 29, 2006 #10
    Thank you Aca! The whole thing is coming together nicely! These photos are new to me and show a great amount of weathering on the stones. There appear to be parallel faces on adjacent rocks. I don't know why they still have so much debris on them. It is probably because the excavators do not want to scrape any possible cultural surface evidence off with the compacted dirt on the stones.

My expertise does not include megalithic-archaeology so I'm just guessing with regard to the methods of uncovering this sort of find.

Its a "rocking" site (!) with ego shattering implications. I'd be surprised if there wasn't "suddenly" another "war" in the area just to "blow it up real good" and get rid of this pre-historic anomaly and let the "experts" continue in what often appears as their fantasy about how the past took place.

All in all, I hope this find turns out to be exactly what Mr. Osmanagic proposes it is. Visoko would become the new Cairo in terms of tourism, cultural exchange and great restaurants... etc... without the camels.
  12. May 1, 2006 #11
    Aca, I appreciate and envy your first hand experience. I'm just going by what I find on the Internet and so far I haven't found why Osmanagic gives a possible age of 12,000 years old. That's a pretty rash thing to say since that puts it pretty much in the last ice age, so it would be nice to hear why he thinks that.

Carl, I'm guessing that isn't debris on the rocks, but part of their makeup. It looks much like the tunnel entrance here. If that's the native rock, it looks like a hardened conglomerate of coarse gravel and sand or somesuch.

There's a good slide show of various angles of the hill at http://www.sarajevo-x.com/galerije/051103008/1

One thing I've learned from this story is how widespread pyramids are. There are even pyramids in China.
  13. May 1, 2006 #12
    Tojen, everytime I post something about this discovery I get the feeling I'm turning into an armchair archaeologist. Yetch:eek::bugeye: :uhh: :zzz: :surprised.

Anyway, I'm glad you've pointed out some of these things. I mentioned Chinese pyramids earlier in this thread. Your point about the make-up of the stone from around the town of Visoko gives one the impression of it being aggregate cement. Otherwise it is a composite rock and extremely unmanagable for carving etc... because of the variety of stones in the mix.

One reason Mr. Osmanagic gives a date of 12,000 years would be that, geologically.. and if the hill is a pyramid, it would take some sort of huge melt down and runoff of water to cover the structure in mud, debris, etc... to the point of burying it 1 meter in the stuff.

The only time in pre-history that there was enough water moving around moving that much dirt was during the melting and recession of the glaciers that were in the area around 11,000 years ago, give or take.

Another reason is that if the structure was built out of an early form of aggregate cement, with smooth outside planes, the amount of weathering on those blocks in the photos would also immediately indicate vast expanses of time (relatively speaking) had gone by since they were laid or cut.

Picture of cut aggregate cement:

14. May 2, 2006 #13

That is very cool stuff :cool:
  15. May 4, 2006 #14

Thank you all for your responses. Well, Tojen! You are asking why is Mr. Osmanagic claiming that the Bosnian pyramids are 12,000 yr. old? I agree with Carl and his thoughts about huge ice melt-down which came in one big wave and probably covered not only the "pyramid" but the whole region as well.

Many archeologists today are saying that the "pyramids" were built during the Illirians' time or even Romans. Now that's funny because Roman empire and its army were well equiped; thier soldiers were using sharp metal swords and other "then" fine armory. The picture you are about to see will tell you right away that whoever was using this knife or an axe was not capable of using metal to make things: http://www.visoko.co.ba/foto/data/upimages/kama.jpg
    So it had to be long, long time ago.

Then here are the pictures of stones with some carvings on it;
    Very interesting!!
    These artifacts have been discoverd in the past 2 months in the pyramid area

The carvings on it, as they are assuming is representation of a ship.......?????
    Last edited: May 4, 2006
  16. May 4, 2006 #15

If those apparently effortlessly carved pieces show the bow of a ship I have some candidates to submit as the type of ship it may be:

Egyptian (date of first design?):

Phoenician (date of first design?):

Sumerian ship:

Papyrus vessel:

And I can't resist this one.... Viking Ship:

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  17. May 7, 2006 #16

Very intresting! Is it possible that "they" carried the stones on those ships from somewhere else? This whole excavation is just a big mistery. Just few minutes ago the most recent updates have been posted so i am posting just a few pic-links where you can see perfectly aligned stone blocks!

..ahh here is another one! It looks like a fossil of a leaf...??:confused:

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  18. May 8, 2006 #17
    Thanks for the photos, Aca. The aligned slabs are the most convincing for me so far.

After reading about the 9,000 year old submerged city off the coast of India, I'm looking differently at new discoveries like the Bosnian pyramid, but I still have problems with Osmanagic's reasoning. According to what I found, the top of the hill is about 500 metres or more above sea level. How could there have been enough water to cover it? (since the height of the last glaciation, oceans have risen 120 metres to their present level). Surely the "rebound effect" (can't remember the proper term) after the glaciers melted couldn't account for that much vertical movement of the land. So, what else would account for the deep layer of soil covering the hill?

I didn't mean to imply that the conglomerate rock was man-made, Carl, but that it was hardened naturally. I've heard the term "soup stone" for that kind of composite rock. It looks the same as the rock around the entrance to the tunnel, so that's why I'm guessing it's the native rock there.

The engraved rocks are interesting. If they're meant to represent ships, it's odd how they don't include the whole ship, as if they're stylized depictions as in early forms of writing.

For the time being, that's the most that I can aspire to. :frown: Speaking of which, Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings arrived today. Looks great so far but I wish I knew more about cartography.

(Pardon my intermittent posting here, but I've worked 14 days in a row now and still counting...)
  19. May 8, 2006 #18

Now guys don't think that i am cheap story buyer but this just sounds so unreal; they have found another pyramid like shaped hill in the city of Maglaj. Mr. Osmanagic (who is in US now) has asked NASA to give him sattelite images of the hill and the images have shown better shaped hill then the one in Visoko (Visocica)

Well anyway here is the link....it's in Bosnian!

20. May 8, 2006 #19
    Hey Toj.

"All work and no play make person very tired" (Confused us).

"Work yer fingers to the bone and... whaddayagit?... boney fingers!" (Elly May Clam pit)

Ach, its not so bad doing some observing for a change. I've done my time with the trowel, toothbrush, flat-nose shovel, buckets buckets and buckets and screeners.

But, I still envy the effing eff out of anyone doing an excavation anywhere at anytime. Its really rather entertaining until the Moose Flys carry you off to feed their young!:surprised

I've been scoping natural rock formations around my area and there is often the occurance where a crack will run, perfectly straight, for a number of feet. You can see this in granite and sandstone so I don't doubt that composite rock will crack along a straight line too.

This is not to say these megalithic pieces are natural outcroppings... but, I'm not saying they're the facing of a 720 foot high pyramid, either... until the whole picture emerges. And that will take over a year due to the careful nature of uncovering such a possibility.

Yah, Tojen, it is not too often that people take my recommendations on what to read, especially when it involves controversy. I am really quite humbled that you would do so and I can only hope that Hapgood provides some of the excitement for you that his work did for me.

Hapgood was doing his enormass undertaking of geological research at the same time that the villified and, for some reason, immediately discounted Immanual Velikovsky (the Russian) was proposing his ideas about the history of the Solar System. Both Hapgood and Velikovsky corresponded with Albert Einstein as well as met and shared pipe tobbacco etc.... Velokovsky's famous book which contains one of his theories is titled "Worlds In Collision".

Here is some background on Velokovsky:http://home.flash.net/~cjransom/vel.html
    His theories include the use of mythologys and stories from ancient times as sort of guages by which to measure the climate, astronomical events, etc etc....
  21. May 8, 2006 #20
    Aca, thanks for these up-dates. This is truely a treat!

Another pyramid... in Bosnia yet!!!

Viva la Bosnia!!! Rock Bosnia!!! In another 100 years there'll be a song that goes, ........."walk like a Bosnian..."

Oh yeah.... to answer Tojen's question about the deposits of debris which has decomposed and become about a 1 meter layer of dirt covering the pyramidal hills....

This could happen because, from what I know from my area, glaciers got to be around 1 MILE thick... in the valleys they carved for themselves.

So, imagine a 1 MILE thick glacier melting.

The rivers would be gigantic. The force of the water outragious. And, any minor, 720 foot tall structure would be inundated with the water, rocks, debris, stray mammoths etc... etc.... etc.....

The fact that the site is well above sea level shows the same type of clever planning that is seen in many cases of ancient ruins.... like Maccupittu(sp), Giza Plateau, The mexican pyramids, the Chinnese pyramids are close to a range of mountains... higher elevations and on and on. Thialand has pyramids way up in the mountains. Its as though they'd all lived through the same rise in sea level.... or had records of it.

But none of them could predict the changes that would happen when a rapid melt down of trillions of tonnes of glacier took place. Just my take.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?