1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boson number density

1. May 20, 2014 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the number density for bosons if T (temperature) >>μ (chemical energy) is:
    [itex] n= \frac{ζ(3)}{\pi^{2}} gT^{3}[/itex]

(T>>m too)

2. Relevant equations

[itex] n= \frac{g}{2 \pi^{2}} \int_{m}^{∞} f(E) (E^{2}-m^{2})^{1/2} EdE[/itex]
    [itex] f(E)= \frac{1}{e^{\frac{E-μ}{T}} -1}[/itex]
    [itex]ζ(s)= \frac{1}{Γ(s)} \int_{0}^{∞} dx \frac{x^{s-1}}{e^{x}-1}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I am taking:
    [itex] n= \frac{g}{2 \pi^{2}} \int_{m}^{∞} \frac{1}{e^{\frac{E-μ}{T}} -1} (E^{2}-m^{2})^{1/2} EdE[/itex]

Then use μ<<T to drop the part of it in the exponential

[itex] n= \frac{g}{2 \pi^{2}} \int_{m}^{∞} \frac{1}{e^{\frac{E}{T}} -1} (E^{2}-m^{2})^{1/2} EdE[/itex]

If now I make a change of variables, [itex] x= \frac{E}{T}[/itex] I think I'll get something similar to the definition of the zeta function... By this I have:
    [itex]x= \frac{E}{T}[/itex],
    [itex]dE= T dx[/itex],
    [itex] E^{2}= x^{2}T^{2}[/itex]
    and [itex]E= x T[/itex]
    The integration limits will be: [itex]x_{1}= \frac{m}{T}=0[/itex] and the upper one will be ∞...

[itex] n= \frac{g}{2 \pi^{2}} \int_{0}^{∞} \frac{1}{e^{x} -1} (x^{2}T^{2}-m^{2})^{1/2} xT^{2}dx[/itex]

Now I can see that dropping [itex]m^{2}[/itex] from the square root would give me the desired answer... However I don't know why can I?
    alright m<<T, but T also gets multiplied by the variable....
    If I'd drop it:

[itex] n= \frac{g}{2 \pi^{2}} \int_{0}^{∞} \frac{1}{e^{x} -1} xT(1-\frac{m^{2}}{x^{2}T^{2}})^{1/2} xT^{2}dx[/itex]

[itex] n= \frac{g}{2 \pi^{2}} \int_{0}^{∞} \frac{1}{e^{x} -1} x^{2} T^{3}dx[/itex]

[itex] n= \frac{g}{2 \pi^{2}} ζ(3) Γ(3) T^{3}dx[/itex]

[itex] Γ(3)= 2[/itex]
    and I get the right result...By the assumption I could drop m^2 from the square root...

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2014 #2
    Do we have a question here?

4. May 20, 2014 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

-haha that was a good one Dauto, by the fact that on paper I had done it wrong, while here I did it right-
    But yes, there's still a question on....
    "Now I can see that dropping m2 from the square root would give me the desired answer... However I don't know why can I?alright m<<T, but T also gets multiplied by the variable...."

Could I instead do:
    [itex] (x^{2}T^{2}-m^{2})^{1/2}= T (x^{2}- m^{2}/T^{2})^{1/2}= T x[/itex]
    ?

5. May 21, 2014 #4
    Since T>>m, the distribution has most of its weight on values E>>m. Therefore E^2 - m^2 ~ E^2 as far as that integral is concerned.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted