1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bosons on a square lattice

1. Jan 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose an ideal bose gas sees a periodic potential with a period a in both x and y directions. Its eigenstates are altered from the free-particle form. The lowest band has energies
    [itex]\epsilon_\vec{k}=2t(2-cos(k_xa)-cos(k_ya))[/itex]
    where t is an energy scale that depends on the amplitude of the periodic potential, and the wavevectors [itex]\vec{k}[/itex] are restricted to the first Brillouin zone: [itex]\pi/a <k_{x,y}<\pi/a[/itex].

(i) Show that the density of states [itex]g(\epsilon)[/itex] is zero for [itex]\epsilon>8t[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon<0[/itex]

(ii) Show that [itex]g(\epsilon) \simeq L^2/4\pi ta^2[/itex] at low energies [itex]0\leq\epsilon\ll 8t[/itex]

Hint: Sketch the dispersion relation above consider the approximate form of [itex]\epsilon_{\vec{k}}[/itex] at lom wavelengths ([itex]ka \ll 1[/itex]).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Number (i) is quite obvious since the cosine can only take values between -1 and 1. Therefore the expression in brackets can only take value between 0 and 4 which shows that there are no states with energies < 0 or energies > 8t.

(ii) For long wavelengths we can approximate
    [itex] \epsilon_\vec{k}=2t(2-cos(k_xa)-cos(k_ya)) = -2t(k_x^2 a^2+k_y^2a^2) = -2ta^2\vec{k}^2[/itex]
    But how does that help me to get the density of states? I don't know how to begin. Can someone give me an ansatz?

Cheers, physicus

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check your result for your approximation of [itex] \epsilon_\vec{k}[/itex]. I think you might be off by a sign and a factor of 2.

To proceed to the density of states, compare your approximate result for [itex] \epsilon_\vec{k}[/itex] with [itex] \epsilon_{\vec{k},free}[/itex] for a free particle of mass m moving in 2 dimensions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook