How Does Periodic Potential Affect the Energy Spectrum of a Bose Gas?

In summary, the conversation discusses an ideal Bose gas in a periodic potential with a period of a in both x and y directions. Its eigenstates are altered from the free-particle form and the lowest band has energies \epsilon_\vec{k}=2t(2-cos(k_xa)-cos(k_ya)), where t is an energy scale dependent on the amplitude of the potential and the wavevectors \vec{k} are restricted to the first Brillouin zone. The conversation then goes on to discuss two questions, with the first one being fairly obvious and the second one involving approximations for long wavelengths. The summary concludes by asking for an ansatz for finding the density of states.
physicus

Homework Statement

Suppose an ideal bose gas sees a periodic potential with a period a in both x and y directions. Its eigenstates are altered from the free-particle form. The lowest band has energies
[itex]\epsilon_\vec{k}=2t(2-cos(k_xa)-cos(k_ya))[/itex]
where t is an energy scale that depends on the amplitude of the periodic potential, and the wavevectors [itex]\vec{k}[/itex] are restricted to the first Brillouin zone: [itex]\pi/a <k_{x,y}<\pi/a[/itex].

(i) Show that the density of states [itex]g(\epsilon)[/itex] is zero for [itex]\epsilon>8t[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon<0[/itex]

(ii) Show that [itex]g(\epsilon) \simeq L^2/4\pi ta^2[/itex] at low energies [itex]0\leq\epsilon\ll 8t[/itex]

Hint: Sketch the dispersion relation above consider the approximate form of [itex]\epsilon_{\vec{k}}[/itex] at lom wavelengths ([itex]ka \ll 1[/itex]).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Number (i) is quite obvious since the cosine can only take values between -1 and 1. Therefore the expression in brackets can only take value between 0 and 4 which shows that there are no states with energies < 0 or energies > 8t.

(ii) For long wavelengths we can approximate
[itex] \epsilon_\vec{k}=2t(2-cos(k_xa)-cos(k_ya)) = -2t(k_x^2 a^2+k_y^2a^2) = -2ta^2\vec{k}^2[/itex]
But how does that help me to get the density of states? I don't know how to begin. Can someone give me an ansatz?

Cheers, physicus

Physics news on Phys.org
physicus said:
(ii) For long wavelengths we can approximate
[itex] \epsilon_\vec{k}=2t(2-cos(k_xa)-cos(k_ya)) = -2t(k_x^2 a^2+k_y^2a^2) = -2ta^2\vec{k}^2[/itex]
But how does that help me to get the density of states? I don't know how to begin. Can someone give me an ansatz?

Check your result for your approximation of [itex] \epsilon_\vec{k}[/itex]. I think you might be off by a sign and a factor of 2.

To proceed to the density of states, compare your approximate result for [itex] \epsilon_\vec{k}[/itex] with [itex] \epsilon_{\vec{k},free}[/itex] for a free particle of mass m moving in 2 dimensions.

1. What are bosons on a square lattice?

Bosons on a square lattice refer to a theoretical model in condensed matter physics where bosonic particles (particles with integer spin) are arranged in a regular square grid pattern. This model is used to study the behavior and properties of these particles in a controlled environment.

2. What is the significance of studying bosons on a square lattice?

Studying bosons on a square lattice allows scientists to understand the fundamental behavior of these particles and how they interact with each other. This can have implications for various fields such as quantum computing, superconductivity, and magnetism.

3. How are bosons on a square lattice different from fermions on a square lattice?

Bosons and fermions are two types of particles with different quantum properties. Bosons, unlike fermions, can occupy the same quantum state and can form a collective state known as a Bose-Einstein condensate. Studying bosonic particles on a square lattice allows scientists to observe and manipulate these unique properties.

4. What techniques are used to study bosons on a square lattice?

There are several experimental techniques used to study bosons on a square lattice, such as neutron scattering, optical lattice techniques, and quantum gas microscopy. These techniques allow scientists to manipulate and observe the behavior of bosonic particles on a lattice in a controlled environment.

5. What are some potential applications of bosons on a square lattice?

Some potential applications of studying bosons on a square lattice include the development of new materials with unique properties, improving our understanding of superfluidity and superconductivity, and advancements in quantum computing and communication.