Boss asked me to create a spinnable image in a website, but. .

• Thread starter deltapapazulu
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, David created a 3D model of an underground communication wire system and his boss wanted him to put it into a webpage. David found a better way to do it natively in Sketchup and uploaded the model to a webpage.
deltapapazulu
. . . I'm not programmer, although I do have a basic knowledge of programming and have passed one college course in it.

But this could be a foot in the door for me to become useful at something my company might want to expand into in the future.

Here is what I am being asked to do. I created this 3d model for my job in Sketchup, then screencasted rotating it through different angles so that various of our design team could get a good visual of an underground communication wire system that they have to be aware of. My boss asked me kind of off-the-cuff "hey could you put this in a webpage we could visit and manually rotate in all spherical directions?"

Although this particular project was finished in October my boss still wants me to learn how to do this.

In this particular post I am not really asking "how" but rather would like to be pointed in the best direction for creating a user/visitor rotatable object in a website.

NOTE: I am willing and intending to learn a good dose of programming if required.

Here is the youtube video of the MP4 that I will be using.

Technology news on Phys.org
This could be done easily using a library like three.js

Likes deltapapazulu
DavidSnider said:

Thank you I will definitely look into it!

DavidSnider said:

Hello David,

Posting this for posterity. Turns out there is a native very good way to do this in Sketchup. I feel dumb for not looking into this up front.

Here is my rotatable 3d model in 3d Warehouse: click on eyeball button then maximize using full-screen icon at bottom left of model window. Then begin rotating the model.

Rotatable 3d model of underground comm piping

Here is a youtube video of how to upload a 3d Sketchup model into a webpage and rotate it:

Likes sysprog and DavidSnider

What is a spinnable image in a website?

A spinnable image in a website is an interactive image that can rotate or spin when a user hovers over it or clicks on it. It is often used to showcase products or provide a 360-degree view of an object.

What are the benefits of using a spinnable image in a website?

Spinnable images can enhance user experience by allowing them to interact with the image and see different angles of the product. It can also save space on the website by replacing multiple images with one spinnable image. Additionally, it can make the website more visually appealing and engaging.

How can I create a spinnable image for a website?

There are various software and tools available to create spinnable images, such as Adobe Photoshop, 360° product photography software, or online spinners. It is important to ensure that the final image is optimized for web use and compatible with the website's platform.

What are some tips for creating a spinnable image for a website?

When creating a spinnable image, it is important to use high-quality images and ensure that they are all taken from the same angle and lighting. This will create a seamless spin. It is also important to consider the size and speed of the spin, as well as the placement of the image on the website.

Are there any limitations to using spinnable images on a website?

While spinnable images can be a great addition to a website, they may not be suitable for all products or websites. For example, extremely large or complex products may not be suitable for a spinnable image. Additionally, spinnable images may not work well on all devices or browsers, so it is important to test and optimize for different platforms.