Helping Out or Doing the Work? A Difficult Decision

In summary, the engineer is easy going and does not get involved in the day to day maintenance of the facility but when there is a problem he needs help from others and does not have the skills to give an estimation without help. The story seems to be about a situation where the engineer was hired and is in a situation where he may be replaced. The situation seems to be a problem for the engineer and the possible solution seems to be for the engineer to cooperate with the new boss.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
So how far should i go in helping him out, i mean he is supposed to be a hands on engineer but it seems for many years he has been a paper pusher, he really does know squat, on the other hand he is easy going, but should i be the one one to put all the ideas in front of him, no one else will know.

Physics news on Phys.org
how often does he need to be bailed out?

Math Is Hard said:
how often does he need to be bailed out?

Every time there is a problem, normally he does not get involved in the day to day
hands on maintenance, he only comes into the equation when there may be significant down time or cost involved and managers need an estimation, an estimation he can not give without help.

Just be a good guy...

wolram said:
Every time there is a problem, normally he does not get involved in the day to day
hands on maintenance, he only comes into the equation when there may be significant down time or cost involved and managers need an estimation, an estimation he can not give without help.
Your brain's probably got all sorts of opinions about what you should do. What does your heart tell you?

What kind of story is this? And how does it end?

DaveC426913 said:
Your brain's probably got all sorts of opinions about what you should do. What does your heart tell you?

What kind of story is this? And how does it end?

Let things carry on i guess, it is not as if i would say anything to any one, i think they must find out for them selfs it can only be a matter of time, but then again he has lasted 2yrs.

If he gets fired, do you get a promotion?

He had to be hired for some reason

rewebster said:
He had to be hired for some reason

The old boys network.

NeoDevin said:
If he gets fired, do you get a promotion?

I doubt it, i was asked to take the job before he was hired, i hate paper work and pointless meetings.

In that case I would suggest keeping him around to do your paperwork.

When I was a process chemist in a pulp mill, the company hired degreed chemical engineers directly out of college, and we chemists had to train them so they could be our bosses. Aside from the few that had interned in pulp mills they came in absolutely green, and even those that had interned had often interned in mills with chemical process that were very different from ours. Our mill was a Kraft pulp mill, and that is very different from a mill using a ground-wood process, a sulfite process, etc. Also, we had some very dangerous equipment like a Kraft chemical recovery boiler (BOOM! if safety systems fail) and a Rapson R3 chlorine dioxide generator. The upshot? Take care of the engineer you are teamed with, and he/she will cut you some slack. You get to do field-work, and they have to attend meetings, write reports on your findings, etc.

I would feel sooo worthless if my boss had to do all the paperwork and bail me out, coming up with all the answers to the problems as well. I might start to think that a total rookie could do my job as well as I could (and be more productive at it to boot!).
Count yourself lucky that your boss depends on your efforts as much as he does and that he is a nice guy.
The counter to that situation is less than desirable (shudder, shudder...).

Here's something else to consider:

If you brough about events wherein this situation changed, like say, your boss were replaced with someone else...
Could things be a lot worse for you?

wolram said:
That's why managers have people work for them. A managers job isn't to know everything there is to know about something, it's to manage people who know everything there is to know about something. In fact there is no reason for a manager to know a single technical fact in an area he manages as that isn't what he/she is being paid for.

He may ask for your help in a nice way which seems to have given you the impression you are doing him a favour when you respond but unless you work in a very unorthodox structure then I think you are labouring under a delusion in terms of roles and responsibilities.

If you decide to go down the road of non-cooperation I suspect you will quickly learn the true meaning behind company hierarchies :biggrin:.

Art said:
That's why managers have people work for them. A managers job isn't to know everything there is to know about something, it's to manage people who know everything there is to know about something. In fact there is no reason for a manager to know a single technical fact in an area he manages as that isn't what he/she is being paid for.

He may ask for your help in a nice way which seems to have given you the impression you are doing him a favour when you respond but unless you work in a very unorthodox structure then I think you are labouring under a delusion in terms of roles and responsibilities.

If you decide to go down the road of non-cooperation I suspect you will quickly learn the true meaning behind company hierarchies :biggrin:.

You missed the hands on part, there is not that much paper work maybe an hour a day
and two or three meetings a week which take a maximum of six hours, the rest of his time was supposed to be spent hands on,

What factors should be considered when deciding whether to help out or do the work?

There are a few key factors that should be considered when faced with the decision to help out or do the work. These include the urgency and importance of the task, your own workload and availability, and the potential impact of your decision on others.

What are the potential benefits of helping out or doing the work?

Helping out or doing the work can have numerous benefits, such as building relationships and trust with colleagues, gaining new skills and knowledge, and contributing to the success of a project or team.

What are the potential drawbacks of helping out or doing the work?

While there are many benefits to helping out or doing the work, there are also potential drawbacks to consider. These may include added stress and workload, sacrificing personal time and priorities, and setting a precedent for always being the go-to person for tasks.

How can I make a decision between helping out or doing the work?

The best way to make a decision is to weigh the pros and cons, consider the impact on yourself and others, and communicate openly with those involved. It may also be helpful to prioritize tasks and delegate when possible.

What are some strategies for managing the workload when faced with the decision to help out or do the work?

If you are feeling overwhelmed with your workload, there are a few strategies you can use to manage it while still helping out or doing the work. These may include setting boundaries and saying no when necessary, delegating tasks to others, and practicing effective time management techniques.