Both nucleotide and aa sequence under each other

• Thread starter sotellme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to have the nucleotide sequence and amino acid sequence of a gene translated and displayed under each other for a better understanding of their relationship. The use of the ExPASy translate tool with the "include nucleotide sequence" option is recommended as a solution to this problem.
sotellme
both nucleotide and aa sequence under each other...

hello everybody!

i wonder what can i do to get my nucleotide sequence and aa of a gene being translated under each other so i can have a whole picture of which nucleotide belongs to the aa and which aa belongs to the nucleotide in a paper?

for example:

atg ttt tta ...
M P L ...

this would be of great help, since the aa and protein sequence of a gene are in different places (databanks and even in the same databank) and i waste my time on translate every code into its aa.

hope you get my point!
thanks alot!

Biology news on Phys.org

1. What is the relationship between nucleotide and amino acid sequences?

The nucleotide sequence is the genetic code that determines the order of amino acids in a protein. Each set of three nucleotides, called a codon, codes for a specific amino acid. Therefore, the nucleotide sequence and amino acid sequence are directly related.

2. How are nucleotide and amino acid sequences represented?

Nucleotide sequences are represented by the four letters of DNA bases: A, T, G, and C. Amino acid sequences are represented by the 20 letters of amino acids: A, R, N, D, C, Q, E, G, H, I, L, K, M, F, P, S, T, W, Y, and V.

3. Can changes in nucleotide sequence affect the amino acid sequence?

Yes, changes in the nucleotide sequence can result in changes in the amino acid sequence. This can happen through a process called mutation, where one or more nucleotides are substituted, deleted, or inserted, leading to a different amino acid being coded for.

4. How does a change in the amino acid sequence affect the protein?

A change in the amino acid sequence can alter the structure and function of the protein. Some changes may be harmless, while others can lead to a dysfunctional protein or even disease.

5. What is the significance of comparing nucleotide and amino acid sequences?

Comparing nucleotide and amino acid sequences can provide insight into the evolutionary relationships between organisms and their genetic makeup. It can also help identify genetic mutations and their effects on proteins, as well as aid in the understanding of protein structure and function.