1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Both Quadratic and Linear Drag

1. Jan 27, 2008 #1
    An object is coasting on the horizontal axis, in the positive direction and is subject to a drag force f = -bv - cv[tex]^{2}[/tex].
    Write down Newton's 2nd Law and solve for v using separation of variables.

So first I wrote out Newton's law as:
    F= m(dv/dt) = -bv - cv[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Solving the integral: dt = [tex]\frac{dv}{-bv-cv^{2}}[/tex], with boundaries from 0 to t and v(0) to v

I got: t = [tex]\frac{-m}{b}[/tex] ln[tex]\frac{v}{1+\frac{c}{b}v^{2}}[/tex]

Note: I haven't put in my boundaries on v yet. However, Once I put in my boundaries on v and try to rearrange to solve for v, I can't get anywhere. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx, CB

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you sure about the ln? If I differentiate it, I first get
    [tex]\frac{ 1 + (c/b) v^2 }{ v } [/tex]
    times the derivative of that (chain rule!) which will be something like (... - ...) / v^2
    in total giving me something containing 1/v^3.

If you want to do it analytically, you could try writing
    [tex]\frac{-dv}{v} \frac{1}{b + c v}[/tex]
    as
    [tex]\left( \frac{A}{v} + \frac{B}{b + c v}\right) dv[/tex]
    with A and B constants (which, in this case, works). Then split the integral and solve both parts separately.

4. Jan 28, 2008 #3
    Well looks like I made an error in my calculations: the integral turns out to be :
    t =[tex]\frac{-m}{b} \frac{1}{b + c v}[/tex] ln[tex]\frac{v}{1+\frac{c}{b}v}[/tex]

And yes, using partial fractions will also solve this integral, and yes a ln function will turn out to be there.

Anyway, then the solution is solved for just rearranging for v in terms of t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?