Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bots posting on PF

1. Feb 22, 2014 #1

adjacent

Gold Member

I have been seeing titles of this kind:Watch x Online (Where x is a name of a movie)
    This is clearly bots posting here.
    So I think the admins have to have a look around the security of PF.Bots are able to get registered and post here?PF should have CAPTCHA images instead of Questions.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2014 #2

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Yes. And they're so frequent and numerous. Everytime I login I find these posts at the top.
    Is it a single person or a group of cranks? Aren't IP addresses of a single user tracked?

4. Feb 22, 2014 #3
    We are intentionally targeted because of our quality. Captacha was ineffective years ago. The price for humans to solve them is extremely cheap.

5. Feb 22, 2014 #4
    Would limiting the number of hyperlinks in the posts of new members with less than 'x' posts work?

6. Feb 22, 2014 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

We had a policy before on not letting new members post links in their messages until they have at least 5 posts. It is not foolproof, but at least it made it more difficult for these losers to do what they are doing.

I've been trying to get that reinstalled.

Zz.

7. Feb 22, 2014 #6

adjacent

Gold Member

I think this is just one person or one group of people.What do you think?
    All these posts have the same title: Watch ______ Online.
    And they post some Hyperlinks.Just every post looks the same.
    I don't think random people from the world will post the same thing.

8. Feb 22, 2014 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why is it a problem to do this? Seems like a reasonable thing to do.

9. Feb 22, 2014 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That means nothing if the continue to change their IP addresses or disguise where they are posting from.

Zz.

10. Feb 22, 2014 #9

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

They don't come from all over the world. They appear to come from all over India, Sri Lanka, and the Maldives, and almost nowhere else. We could automatically ban anyone posting from IPs originating from those countries and 99% of the "Watch this!" spam would disappear. That probably wouldn't make our legitimate users from those countries very happy.

11. Feb 22, 2014 #10

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Crime is big business. The criminals who post this - and they are criminals - can afford to hire people to solve captchas, they can afford to hire people to puff their post count, they can use machines all over the world (either legitimately or through zombies) so they are not coming in from a single IP or even a block.

Charging all members before they could post would stop them. This changes the economics, but it would not be acceptable to PF.

One thing that would help is better behavior from some of our members - time spent by the Mentors passing out infractions to those who know the rules and refuse to follow them is time that is not spent taking down spam.

12. Feb 22, 2014 #11

adjacent

Gold Member

Well,I am from Maldives So that's not a very happy thing to do.

Anyways,Reporting them is really funny.
    I think,you should have that policy again.

13. Feb 22, 2014 #12

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I lied about the Maldives. I was tweaking you. (Your profile says you are from the Maldives.) The vast majority of those spam posts appear to be coming from India, and nowhere else.

Appear is the operative term here. Those spam posts most likely originate from somewhere else. They appear to be coming from India only because there are apparently a boatload of computers infested with malware in India.

14. Feb 22, 2014 #13

adjacent

Gold Member

:rofl: I was really surprised because no one from Maldives comes here except me.(At least they are not active)

o:)

15. Feb 22, 2014 #14

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suspect you are only adjacent to the Maldives.

16. Feb 23, 2014 #15

adjacent

Gold Member

:tongue2:

17. Feb 23, 2014 #16

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Are you lying about India too?:wink::biggrin:
    Iam from there!:cry:

18. Feb 23, 2014 #17

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No he's not. The vast majority of this type of spam have IP addresses originating out of India.

Zz.

19. Feb 23, 2014 #18

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe PF could refuse to let new members from India post links in their messages until they have at least 5 posts?

Or, automatic deletion of a post and member banishment if they have less than 5 posts and create a post containing links and the words Watch Online. You could even make it so that their post looks like it was successfully created long enough for them to leave. If they really want to be a member, they can email back.

20. Feb 23, 2014 #19

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Atleast 5 posts? How can we be sure they would make five posts that do not require exhaustive moderation? And they can just type the URL's and not post a hyperlink..

21. Feb 23, 2014 #20

adjacent

Gold Member

The best way is to automatically delete thread titles having Words "Watch" and "Online" from members with posts less than 50.(No legitimate member will post some rubbish Watch this online.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook