Bounce of the cue ball in snooker

In summary, the speed of a ball after it rebounds from hitting a cushion can be increased by factors such as spin
TSN79
I was watching a game of snooker, and sometimes the cue ball bounces off the cushions with surprisingly high speed. Some people often say that it comes off the cushion faster than it went into it. And I started thinking - is that even possible? Does physics work that way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe if it has spin

tkyoung75 said:
Maybe if it has spin
Yes top spin giving angular momentum which will not be apparent from a normal view point. You can see a slowed down cue ball with spots more easily like in this video.

Likes tkyoung75
TSN79 said:
is that even possible? Does physics work that way?
Have you ever played with a "superball" (high friction bouncy rubber ball)? If you give them lots of spin, they shoot off very fast at bounce. Rotational kinetic energy is converted into linear kinetic energy.

Last edited:
TSN79 said:
I was watching a game of snooker, and sometimes the cue ball bounces off the cushions with surprisingly high speed. Some people often say that it comes off the cushion faster than it went into it. And I started thinking - is that even possible? Does physics work that way?
I think the effect is that the trained eye expects a certain reduction in speed upon impact with the cushion. When this doesn't happen and the ball rebounds faster than expected it creates the illusion that it speeded up.

That said, I would like to see some analysis of the speed of a ball before and after it strikes the cushion.

The cases in question are not where spin is involved. Those cases are known and understood.

PeroK said:
I think the effect is that the trained eye expects a certain reduction in speed upon impact with the cushion. When this doesn't happen and the ball rebounds faster than expected it creates the illusion that it speeded up.

That said, I would like to see some analysis of the speed of a ball before and after it strikes the cushion.

The cases in question are not where spin is involved. Those cases are known and understood.

Will the spin not be transferred to the cushion once it strikes?
Intuitively I would thought the energy is transferred to a small point on the rubber cushion which recoils then springs back pushing the cue ball out again.
This is from playing the game (pool not snooker) and trying to adopt some physics I understand (to some extent)
Also, I found this study from Loughborough university – it made sense then got tricky edit not impossible
https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/dspace-jspui/bitstream/2134/15087/3/Ball%20behaviour%20under%20under%20cushion%20impacts.pdf
Let me know what you think and an idiots guide would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I could not find a standard coefficient of restitution for billiard cushions, although the above reference indicates what one might expect. The cushions are made of rubber (natural or synthetic), and accuracy of bounce over a range of speeds is a key performance measure.

1. How does the angle of the cue affect the bounce of the cue ball in snooker?

The angle of the cue can greatly impact the bounce of the cue ball in snooker. If the cue is struck at a downward angle, the cue ball will have a lower bounce and may even stop on contact with the object ball. Conversely, if the cue is struck at an upward angle, the cue ball will have a higher bounce and may even jump over the object ball.

2. What role does the cloth on the snooker table play in the bounce of the cue ball?

The cloth on the snooker table is an important factor in the bounce of the cue ball. The cloth is designed to have a slight nap or grain, which can affect the direction and speed of the cue ball. Additionally, the condition of the cloth, such as its age and cleanliness, can also impact the bounce of the cue ball.

3. How does the speed of the cue ball affect its bounce in snooker?

The speed of the cue ball can greatly impact its bounce in snooker. The faster the cue ball is struck, the more energy it will have and the higher it will bounce off the object ball. On the other hand, a slower speed will result in a lower bounce. It is important for snooker players to control the speed of their shots to achieve the desired bounce of the cue ball.

4. What happens if the cue ball hits the object ball at an angle?

If the cue ball hits the object ball at an angle, the cue ball will typically change direction after contact. The angle of the cue ball's bounce will depend on the angle of the contact and the speed of the cue ball. This is why it is important for snooker players to have precise control over the angle and speed of their shots.

5. Can the bounce of the cue ball be affected by spin?

Yes, the spin or English applied to the cue ball can greatly affect its bounce in snooker. When spin is applied, the cue ball will have a curved path after contact with the object ball, resulting in a different bounce angle. This technique is often used by skilled snooker players to control the position of the cue ball for their next shot.