1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bouncing Ball Momentum

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am currently working on a lab that deals with a bouncing ball where I need to find the KE and impulse yet I have no mass given.

2. Relevant equations
    PE=mgh
    KE=1/2mv
    p=mv

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have calculated KE by first finding the PE in the middle of the bounce where they will be equal.
    So half way from the highest point I calculated PE using PE=mgh. Then assumed KE was the exact same.

I am however confused as to how to calculate impulse since I have no mass, just a KE value.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2011 #2
    well what ARE you given?

4. Oct 8, 2011 #3
    The height of the first bounce was 0.799 m. Therefore half that distance is 0.3995 (Where KE and PE are equal). I then took this is used it in the PE equation. The mass of the ball is not changing however so I don't see that it's needed.
    Therefore PE=mgh
    PE=0.3995m x 9.8
    PE=3.92
    Therefore KE=3.92.

I don't know how to get impulse from this.

5. Oct 8, 2011 #4
    Ep isn't 3.92

if you take Ep=Ek at halfway point then:

mgh=(1/2)mv^2

therefore it is implied that

gh=(1/2)v^2

but it is not implied that Ep=gh....

I don't see what impulse you're looking for? If it's the impulse the ball has when it hits the ground it depends on how squishy the ball is.

6. Oct 8, 2011 #5
    If all you've been given is the height of the first bounce the question is not answerable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook