1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bouncing ball problem

1. Apr 29, 2005 #1
    I have a problem that is multiple choice and I think that the choices may be wrong because the creator of the problem is know to have wrong answers. A 200g ball hits a wall perpendicularly with a velocity of 30 m/s and bounces back with a velocity of 20 m/s. The collison last for 5 ms, what is the average force exerted by the ball on the wall.

Seems like a straight forward problem that can be easily solved but I keep getting a different answer than what choices I have.

(.200 times 30 m/s) minus (.200 times 20 m/s) gives me 2 kg m/s.

so the force is 2 divided by the time which is 5ms
    2/.005 is 400
    so the answer should be 400 N ?
    my choices are 6000 1000 4000 or 2000 N

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Realize that velocity is a vector. Sign matters! If you call "towards the wall" as positive, then the initial velocity is +30 m/s and the final velocity is -20 m/s (away from the wall and thus negative). Does this change your answer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?