Bouncing Ball Problem: Average Force Calculation with Suspicious Choices

In summary, a 200g ball hits a wall with a velocity of 30 m/s and bounces back with a velocity of 20 m/s. The collision lasts for 5 ms, and the average force exerted by the ball on the wall can be calculated by subtracting the initial velocity from the final velocity (taking into account the direction of the velocities), and dividing by the time. The correct answer is 400 N, but the choices provided are 6000, 1000, 4000, and 2000 N. It is important to remember that velocity is a vector and the direction matters in calculations.
wootage
I have a problem that is multiple choice and I think that the choices may be wrong because the creator of the problem is know to have wrong answers. A 200g ball hits a wall perpendicularly with a velocity of 30 m/s and bounces back with a velocity of 20 m/s. The collison last for 5 ms, what is the average force exerted by the ball on the wall.

Seems like a straight forward problem that can be easily solved but I keep getting a different answer than what choices I have.

(.200 times 30 m/s) minus (.200 times 20 m/s) gives me 2 kg m/s.

so the force is 2 divided by the time which is 5ms
2/.005 is 400
so the answer should be 400 N ?
my choices are 6000 1000 4000 or 2000 N

Physics news on Phys.org
Realize that velocity is a vector. Sign matters! If you call "towards the wall" as positive, then the initial velocity is +30 m/s and the final velocity is -20 m/s (away from the wall and thus negative). Does this change your answer?

It is understandable that you may be suspicious of the choices given in this problem, especially if the creator has a history of providing incorrect answers. In this case, it is important to trust your own calculations and not solely rely on the choices given.

Based on your calculations, it seems like your answer of 400 N is correct. However, it is always a good idea to double check your work and make sure you have accounted for all the necessary variables. If you are confident in your calculations, then it is likely that the choices given are incorrect and you should stick with your answer of 400 N.

In situations like this, it is important to trust your own knowledge and understanding of the problem rather than relying on the choices provided. Keep up the good work and don't let the potential for incorrect choices discourage you from finding the correct answer.

What is the "Bouncing Ball Problem"?

The "Bouncing Ball Problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the height and velocity of a ball as it bounces on a surface. It is commonly used to demonstrate the principles of conservation of energy and momentum.

What factors affect the height and velocity of a bouncing ball?

The height and velocity of a bouncing ball are affected by several factors, including the initial height from which the ball is dropped, the elasticity of the ball and the surface it is bouncing on, and the force of gravity.

How can the "Bouncing Ball Problem" be solved?

The "Bouncing Ball Problem" can be solved using mathematical equations such as the law of conservation of energy and the law of conservation of momentum. These equations can be used to calculate the height and velocity of the ball at any given point in its trajectory.

What is the relationship between the height and velocity of a bouncing ball?

The height and velocity of a bouncing ball have an inverse relationship. This means that as the ball bounces higher, its velocity decreases, and as it bounces lower, its velocity increases.

Why is the "Bouncing Ball Problem" important?

The "Bouncing Ball Problem" is important because it helps us understand the principles of physics, such as energy and momentum conservation, in a real-world scenario. It also has practical applications in industries such as sports, engineering, and ballistics.