Exploring the Forces and Impulse Impacting a Bouncing Basketball

In summary: The ball shoots backwards (v^2 = 2gd, there d is the compressiong upon the ball) because for instance on a bowling ball is very small, so is the energy - umm, does this make any sense or am I completely wrong) and last stage it's flying up.This is what the momentum represents- the energy of the momentum.
Michael1974
1. What forces and impulse impact on a bouncing basketball?

I understand that it is the gravitational force, when it falls, then the normal force when it is on the way back. Are there any additional powers?

The momentum, I came to the potential energy = kinetic energy, where I got the speed. The impulse I got through F = 0.81 * 9.82 and t = 0,34s = 2,70kgm / s. I have observed that the ball bounces about 43% of the height at which it is released from. How can I link to such impulse and power?

But what shall I write in the discussion? Why the result as it gets, aiming for an A, it must have the nuance and detail, but gets nowhere ..2. mv^2=mgh
p = mv
Imp = F*t
F = mg

3. I figured out the momentum via mv^2=mgh , where I got the speed. I got the impulse through F = 0.81 * 9.82 and t = 0,34s = 2,70kgm / s. I have observed that the ball bounces about 43% of the height at which it is released from. I must discuss why the result is as it is? I truly have no idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider splitting up the process into four parts, not just two. Instead of "falling down" and "bouncing back", what about "falling down, not yet touching the ground", "smooshing into the ground", "unsmooshing from the ground" and "rising back up, after leaving the ground".

In an ideal world, would smooshing and unsmooshing be mirror images of one another? What about in the real world?

I can divide it into four parts, but why the force and impulse impact in the way they do still remains a mystery for me.

Vaguely put, it will be pullen down due to gravity, when it touches the ground, it will continue to be pulled downwards hence compressing, the energy of compression will thereafter convert to potentiall energy and is greater than gravitational force, thus the ball will shoot backwards (v^2 = 2gd, there d is the compressiong upon the ball) because for instance on a bowling ball is very small, so is the energy - umm, does this make any sense or am I completely wrong) and last stage it's flying up.

But again, I don't know what to write in the discussion in my lab, this is the sole result. So any help?

If you drop a bowling ball, a properly inflated basketball and an under-inflated basketball on the ground, which one smooshes most? Are you accounting for that in your analysis?

Michael1974 said:
3. I figured out the momentum via mv^2=mgh , where I got the speed. I got the impulse through F = 0.81 * 9.82 and t = 0,34s = 2,70kgm / s.
It would help if you were to explain what these numbers represent. It looks suspiciously as though 0.81 kg is the mass of the ball and 9.81 m/s2 is g. If so, you have calculated the impulse on the ball from the ground while it rests on the ground for 0.34 s. What about the impact velocity?
Michael1974 said:
when it touches the ground, it will continue to be pulled downwards hence compressing,
Again, although gravity will add to the compressing, most of it comes from the impact momentum.

Since it is imperfectly elastic, you need to think about the compression and decompression in more detail, as jbriggs suggests.
This link might help: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-mechanics-momentum-impacts/. See section 4.

1. What is the force that causes a basketball to bounce?

The force that causes a basketball to bounce is called the normal force. This is the force exerted by the ground or surface on the basketball when it is in contact with it. This force acts in the opposite direction of the weight of the basketball, pushing it back up into the air.

2. How does the surface affect the bounce of a basketball?

The surface that a basketball bounces on can greatly impact its bounce. Harder surfaces, like concrete or hardwood floors, will result in a higher bounce compared to softer surfaces, like grass or carpet. This is because harder surfaces exert a greater normal force on the basketball, resulting in a stronger bounce.

3. What role does gravity play in the bouncing of a basketball?

Gravity plays a significant role in the bouncing of a basketball. As the basketball falls towards the ground, it gains kinetic energy. When it hits the ground, this kinetic energy is converted into potential energy as the ball compresses and deforms. As the ball bounces back up, the potential energy is converted back into kinetic energy, and the cycle repeats due to the force of gravity.

4. How does the ball's air pressure affect its bounce?

The air pressure inside a basketball can also impact its bounce. A ball with a higher air pressure will result in a higher bounce compared to a ball with a lower air pressure. This is because the higher air pressure creates a stiffer ball, which can better resist deformation when it hits the ground, resulting in a stronger bounce.

5. What is the relationship between the angle of impact and the bounce of a basketball?

The angle of impact can also affect the bounce of a basketball. When a basketball is dropped from a height, it will bounce back up at an angle that is equal to the angle of impact. For example, if the ball is dropped straight down, it will bounce straight back up. However, if the ball is dropped at an angle, it will bounce back at the same angle, resulting in a different trajectory.