Bouncing frequency ;)

• Thread starter fizzyfiz
  • Start date

Homework Statement:

Hello,
my colleague is writing an IA in physics. After playing squash the ball heats up and its spring properties change. He wants to check if the frequency of bounce changes with change of spring constant. Is there any realtion between these values? Do you know any literature which can help him?

Relevant Equations:

None
None

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
The problem seems pretty straightforward. You say there are no relevant equations, but that is clearly false. Can you say what the two sets of applicable equations may be? Please put some effort into this question for "your friend". :wink:

I do not know the equations that is why I write "none". And I know these "friends of mine" but this time it is true ;)

berkeman
Mentor
Well, I suggest you and your friend do a little reading/research into this. Start looking for equations that can be used to calculate the vertical motion of a bouncing ball (an oscillator with damping), and also look at the "Wave Equation" and what quantities are involved in it. The heating of the ball does certain things to its properties that will be reflected in changing parts of the Wave Equation and the Damping part of the Damped Oscillator equation(s).

Please do that reading and post here with links to that reading, and ask specific questions about any things that you don't understand about the reading. Thanks.

Likes BvU
Oh and I forgot to mention that I am asking about frequency of sound when the ball bounce from the wall :)