What is the frequency of sound when a ball bounces off a wall?

• Thread starter fizzyfiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, the conversation discusses finding equations for calculating the vertical motion of a bouncing ball and the effect of heating on the properties of the ball. The speaker recommends doing some research into the wave equation and damped oscillator equations, and asks for specific questions to be asked about any unclear aspects of the reading. The speaker also mentions that the focus is on the frequency of sound when the ball bounces off a wall.
fizzyfiz
Homework Statement
Hello,
my colleague is writing an IA in physics. After playing squash the ball heats up and its spring properties change. He wants to check if the frequency of bounce changes with change of spring constant. Is there any realtion between these values? Do you know any literature which can help him?
Relevant Equations
None
None

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem seems pretty straightforward. You say there are no relevant equations, but that is clearly false. Can you say what the two sets of applicable equations may be? Please put some effort into this question for "your friend". :wink:

I do not know the equations that is why I write "none". And I know these "friends of mine" but this time it is true ;)

Well, I suggest you and your friend do a little reading/research into this. Start looking for equations that can be used to calculate the vertical motion of a bouncing ball (an oscillator with damping), and also look at the "Wave Equation" and what quantities are involved in it. The heating of the ball does certain things to its properties that will be reflected in changing parts of the Wave Equation and the Damping part of the Damped Oscillator equation(s).

Please do that reading and post here with links to that reading, and ask specific questions about any things that you don't understand about the reading. Thanks.

Likes BvU
Oh and I forgot to mention that I am asking about frequency of sound when the ball bounce from the wall :)

1. What factors affect the frequency of sound when a ball bounces off a wall?

The frequency of sound when a ball bounces off a wall is affected by several factors including the material of the wall, the speed and angle at which the ball hits the wall, and the elasticity of the ball. These factors can change the pitch and loudness of the sound produced.

2. How does the material of the wall affect the frequency of sound?

The material of the wall can affect the frequency of sound in two ways. First, different materials have different densities and can absorb or reflect sound waves differently, which can change the frequency of the sound produced. Secondly, the type of material can also affect the vibration of the ball when it bounces off the wall, altering the frequency of the sound waves.

3. Does the speed and angle of the ball affect the frequency of sound?

Yes, the speed and angle at which the ball hits the wall can affect the frequency of sound produced. When the ball hits the wall at a higher speed, it bounces off with a greater force, causing the sound waves to have a higher frequency. Similarly, the angle of impact can also change the frequency, with a steeper angle resulting in a higher frequency sound.

4. How does the elasticity of the ball affect the frequency of sound?

The elasticity of the ball plays a significant role in determining the frequency of sound when it bounces off a wall. An elastic ball will vibrate more rapidly and produce a higher frequency sound compared to a less elastic ball. This is because the elastic ball can store and release more energy during the bounce, resulting in a higher frequency sound wave.

5. Can the frequency of sound when a ball bounces off a wall be measured?

Yes, the frequency of sound can be measured using specialized equipment such as a sound level meter or a frequency analyzer. These tools can detect and measure the vibrations of the air particles caused by the sound waves and provide a numerical value for the frequency. Additionally, the frequency can also be estimated by counting the number of bounces in a given time interval and using the known speed of sound in air.