Solving Bound Currents Problem Homework

In summary, the magnetic field in the region between the tubes of a coaxial cable with a linear insulating material of magnetic susceptibility χm separating the conductors can be found by using the equation B = (χm + 1)μ0I/2πr, where r is the distance from the center of the cable, I is the current flowing through the inner conductor, and μ0 is the permeability of free space. To confirm that this field is correct, the magnetization and bound currents can be calculated, with the bound current being found using the formula k_bound = M × n, where M is the magnetization and n is the normal vector to the surface. The cross product can be done in
ballzac

Homework Statement

A coaxial cable has a linear insulating material of magnetic susceptibility [tex]\chi_m[/tex] separating the conductors. A current I flows down the inner conductor and returns along the outer one. Find the magnetic field in the region between the tubes. As a check, calculate the magnetization and the bound currents and confirm that they generate the correct field

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have agreement between the two methods. I think my result for the first part is probably right, so it must be the second part that's wrong.

Firstly, I have
[tex]\oint \textbf{H} \cdot d \textbf{L} = I[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow 2 \pi r H = I[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow H = \frac{I}{2 \pi r} [/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow B = \frac{\mu I}{2 \pi r} [/tex]
[tex]=(\chi_m + 1) \frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi r} [/tex]

And for the second part I have
[tex]\textbf{M}=\chi_m \textbf{H}[/tex]
[tex]=\chi_m \frac{I}{2 \pi r} \hat{\textbf{\phi}}[/tex]

[tex]\textbf{j_{bound}} =\nabla \cdot \textbf{M}[/tex]
[tex]=0[/tex]

[tex]\textbf{k_{bound}} =\textbf{M}\times \hat{\textbf{n}} [/tex]
[tex]=\textbf{M}\times \hat{\textbf{r}}[/tex]
[tex]=-\chi_m \frac{I}{2 \pi r} \hat{\textbf{z}}[/tex]

finally
[tex]\oint \textbf{B} \cdot d \textbf{L} = \mu_0 I (1+\textbf{k}_{bound})[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow B =\mu_0 \frac{I}{2 \pi r} (1-\frac{\chi_m}{2 \pi r} )[/tex]

Now clearly the bound current should be in the same direction as the current I, so I have messed up the cross product(EDIT: No, wait. It should be in the opposite direction to I, so I had it right the first time...not sure what I've done wrong then). The main thing though is the division of chi by 2 pi r, as I can't see how to get rid of that. Any help here would be appreciated, thanks :) (EDIT2: I just realized that I've neglected a factor of 1/r in computing the cross product, so there should be r^2 in the denominator of k_bound instead of r, but that doesn't solve my problem.)

P.S Sorry about the weird tex, I'm not sure what I've done. It's meant to read j_bound=div(M) and k_bound=M X n. The rest looks right.(EDIT2: no wonder I'm having so much trouble with this problem, I've made so many mistakes. I just realized that the bound current is A/m, and I've been treating it as though it is just A. I also realized that I could r=r_1 for the surface current because we are only dealing with a current that resides at r_1. I now have this
[tex]B=I/2\pi r(1-\chi_m/r_1)[/tex]
It's looking much better, but still not right. I'm still hoping someone can help me with this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I figured it out. Although I'm still not sure if I am using the cross product properly. If anyone wants to tell me how the cross product works in different coordinate systems, I would still love to hear. Scroll to the bottom for an explanation.

ballzac said:

Homework Statement

A coaxial cable has a linear insulating material of magnetic susceptibility [tex]\chi_m[/tex] separating the conductors. A current I flows down the inner conductor and returns along the outer one. Find the magnetic field in the region between the tubes. As a check, calculate the magnetization and the bound currents and confirm that they generate the correct field

Homework Equations

I don't have agreement between the two methods. I think my result for the first part is probably right, so it must be the second part that's wrong.

Firstly, I have

[tex]=0[/tex]

finally

Now clearly the bound current should be in the same direction as the current I, so I have messed up the cross product(EDIT: No, wait. It should be in the opposite direction to I, so I had it right the first time...not sure what I've done wrong then). The main thing though is the division of chi by 2 pi r, as I can't see how to get rid of that. Any help here would be appreciated, thanks :) (EDIT2: I just realized that I've neglected a factor of 1/r in computing the cross product, so there should be r^2 in the denominator of k_bound instead of r, but that doesn't solve my problem.)

P.S Sorry about the weird tex, I'm not sure what I've done. It's meant to read j_bound=div(M) and k_bound=M X n. The rest looks right.(EDIT2: no wonder I'm having so much trouble with this problem, I've made so many mistakes. I just realized that the bound current is A/m, and I've been treating it as though it is just A. I also realized that I could r=r_1 for the surface current because we are only dealing with a current that resides at r_1. I now have this
It's looking much better, but still not right. I'm still hoping someone can help me with this.

My direction for the bound current was wrong because I was taking n=r, but a the centre the normal points in the NEGATIVE r direction. I could find very little in the way of explanations for how to cross two vectors in cylindrical coordinates. I now think this is because it is exactly the same as in cartesian coordinates. One source, I think a reply to a thread on here, said to use the formula for the curl of a vector in cyl. coordinates, but replace del with the other vector. That is what I was doing before, but it can't be right because then swapping the order of vectors does not just make it negative. It was this realisation that had me try just using the formula for cross product that works in cartesian coordinates, and I came up with the right answer, so I think that must be right.

Sorry for bumping, I meant to edit, but accidentally replied instead. Upshot is, I solved the problem but still am not entirely sure of an aspect of the use of cross product in cylindrical coordinates. Look at the reply for an elaboration. Thanks.

ballzac said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Firstly, I have

[tex]=0[/tex]

finally

P.S Sorry about the weird tex, I'm not sure what I've done. It's meant to read j_bound=div(M) and k_bound=M X n. The rest looks right.

(EDIT2: no wonder I'm having so much trouble with this problem, I've made so many mistakes. I just realized that the bound current is A/m, and I've been treating it as though it is just A. I also realized that I could r=r_1 for the surface current because we are only dealing with a current that resides at r_1. I now have this

1. What are bound currents and why are they important to solve in homework?

Bound currents are the electric currents that exist in materials with non-uniform conductivity or magnetic permeability, such as dielectric materials or ferromagnetic materials. They are important to solve in homework because they play a significant role in determining the behavior of electromagnetic fields in these materials, and understanding them is crucial for many applications in science and engineering.

2. How do I identify bound currents in a given problem?

Bound currents can be identified by looking for regions of non-uniform conductivity or magnetic permeability, or by considering the boundary conditions at the interface between different materials. In some cases, they may also be explicitly given in the problem statement.

3. What are some techniques for solving bound current problems?

Some common techniques for solving bound current problems include using the Maxwell's equations, applying the method of images, and using the boundary element method. The specific technique used will depend on the specific problem and the available tools and resources.

4. How do I check if my solution for a bound current problem is correct?

To check if your solution for a bound current problem is correct, you can compare it to known solutions or use physical reasoning to ensure that it satisfies the boundary conditions and the Maxwell's equations. You can also use computer simulations or numerical methods to validate your solution.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when solving bound current problems?

Yes, some common mistakes when solving bound current problems include not properly identifying the bound currents, not considering the correct boundary conditions, and making errors in the application of mathematical techniques. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem statement and to double-check your work for accuracy.