Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bound currents

1. Jun 11, 2008 #1
    Hi all.

I was thinking of something: Bound charges in an insulator arise because of the polarisation, so even though we have bound surface and volume charges, an insulator will still be electrically neutral.

I was trying to apply this line of though to a magnetized object. Here, the magnetization is due to bound surface- and volume currents. If the magnetization is 100% uniform, all the bound volume currents will cancel eachother, and we will have a current around the edge of our object. If the magnetization is not uniform, we will have a bound volume current - in both cases, the net current is zero. And by net current I mean the current from bound volume and surface charges.

Am I corrent about this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

What do you mean by "net current"? If you mean [tex]\int{\bf j}d^{3}r[/tex],
    that is zero in any static case. But there will be a non-vanishing bound solenoid-like current in a uniformly magnetized cylinder.
  4. Jun 11, 2008 #3
    I mean net bound current - i.e. bound volume + surface charge
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?