1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bound currents

1. Jun 11, 2008 #1
    Hi all.

I was thinking of something: Bound charges in an insulator arise because of the polarisation, so even though we have bound surface and volume charges, an insulator will still be electrically neutral.

I was trying to apply this line of though to a magnetized object. Here, the magnetization is due to bound surface- and volume currents. If the magnetization is 100% uniform, all the bound volume currents will cancel eachother, and we will have a current around the edge of our object. If the magnetization is not uniform, we will have a bound volume current - in both cases, the net current is zero. And by net current I mean the current from bound volume and surface charges.

Am I corrent about this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2008 #2

clem

Science Advisor

What do you mean by "net current"? If you mean [tex]\int{\bf j}d^{3}r[/tex],
    that is zero in any static case. But there will be a non-vanishing bound solenoid-like current in a uniformly magnetized cylinder.

4. Jun 11, 2008 #3
    I mean net bound current - i.e. bound volume + surface charge

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook