1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Bound state of a spin 3/2 particle in a potential

1. May 20, 2010 #1
    Hello,
    Up until now I was certain that a bound state is a state with energy below the minimum of the potential at infinity. However, in this question I don't know at all how to proceed.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spin 3/2 particle moves in a potential
    [tex]V=V_0(r)+\frac{V_1}{r^3}L\cdot S[/tex]
    and V0 > 0.
    We define the eigenvalue of the operator [tex]L\cdot S[/tex] in the basis |J,L,S> as aJ,L,S while J=L+S.
    What is the necessary condition on V1a to get a bound state. Should it
    be positive or negative?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Right from the start what puzzles me is that I have no idea how V0 looks aside from the fact that it's positive. I also note that the potential seems to depend on angular momentum and spin, but their effects cancel out when r goes to infinity it goes to 0, and since V0>0 the energy threshold for bound states depends solely on it. But if I know nothing about it, then for example, taking [tex]V_0(r)=r^2[/tex] there is absolutely no restriction on the factor of [tex]\frac{1}{r_3}[/tex] - all the states will be bound.

Well, here's how I intended to continue, once I knew what I'm actually looking for:
    Applying the Hamiltonian on the basis vectors (Using central potential formulas), I get:
    [tex]E_{J,L,S}=<J,L,S|H|J,L,S> = \left.<J,L,S|V_0(r)\right|J,L,S>+a_{J,L,S}V_1<J,L,S\left|\frac{1}{r^3}\right|J,L,S>[/tex]
    [tex]=\int _0^{\infty }dr r^2V_0(r)\left[R_{\text{nl}}(r)\right]{}^2+\frac{a_{J,L,S}V_1}{a_0^3n^3l\left(l+\frac{1}{2}\right)(l+1)} < ??[/tex]

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted