Bound state of a square well, no allowed bound state mean?

In summary, the question is asking to find the minimum voltage, ##V_{min}##, in terms of k and a, where a is the half of the well width, such that there are no allowed bound states with odd-parity. This means that the energy eigenfunctions form a continuous spectrum and cannot be made real-valued with any choice of the normalization constant. The condition for this is independent of E, and can be found by setting ##\cot z=-\frac{pa}{z}## and solving for ##V_{min}##.
Outrageous

Homework Statement

Show in the graph ,there will be no allowed bound states with odd-parity if the well depth is less than ${V_min}$
Find ${V_min}$ in terms of k and a.where a is the half of the well width.
What does no allowed bound state mean?

Homework Equations

$cotz=-pa/z$ where p^2 =$/frac^{2m(V-E)}{/hbar}$
z =ka ,where k=2mE/hbar

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually I just want to know when do we have no allowed bound state? What kind of condition I have to fulfill? ( eg.i think no allowed bound state, E≥V so that the particle will not be tracked, correct ? But how to show on graph.
The interception point can be used to find the E or V if one of the is given. no allowed bound state mean no interception point?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org
Outrageous said:

Homework Statement

Show in the graph there will be no allowed bound states with odd-parity if the well depth is less than ##V_{min}##. Find ##V_{min}## in terms of k and a, where a is the half of the well width. What does no allowed bound state mean?

Homework Equations

##\cot z =-\frac{pa}{z}## where ##p^2=\frac{2m(V-E)}{\hbar}## and ##z=ka## where ##k=\frac{2mE}{\hbar}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually I just want to know when do we have no allowed bound state? What kind of condition I have to fulfill? (e.g. I think no allowed bound state, E≥V so that the particle will not be tracked, correct? But how to show on graph.)
I'm not sure what you mean by the particle not being tracked. If E≥V, then the particle is unbound. That's not the same as saying there is no bound state.

The interception point can be used to find the E or V if one of the is given. No allowed bound state mean no interception point?

Thanks
Right. The allowed energies are those for which the condition ##\cot z = -\frac{pa}{z}## is satisfied. (I'm trusting that you supplied the correct condition here.) As you vary V, the number of places where the two curves intersect will change. The question is asking you to identify the minimum value of V such that there is no bound state of odd parity. Note that there could still be a bound state of even parity.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for replying. So my answer is (-pa/z)< (pi /2), by keeping the energy constant and the solve for the minimum V.
One more to ask, actually what does it mean no bound state ? I wonder what is the physical meaning of no bound state? No wave function?

A square well always has at least one bound state, no matter how shallow it is. The lowest energy state always has even parity, so there need not exist a bound state with odd parity (if there's only one bound state). If there's no bound state, it means that the energy eigenfunctions form a continuous spectrum and can't be made real-valued with any choice of the normalization constant.

Likes 1 person
hilbert2 said:
A square well always has at least one bound state, no matter how shallow it is. The lowest energy state always has even parity, so there need not exist a bound state with odd parity (if there's only one bound state). If there's no bound state, it means that the energy eigenfunctions form a continuous spectrum and can't be made real-valued with any choice of the normalization constant.

Thanks. Bound state also refer to the wavefunction $\psi_n$.
Just to confirm: my solution for the question is (pa/z)< (pi/2) ,solve for minimum V

But less than pi/2 doesn't mean it must have one interception point with the even parity, then ...?

vela said:
Your condition doesn't look correct to me. It should be independent of E.

Try looking over the section where the wave functions are found in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_potential_well.
I am sorry, but I am still confused.
No need to keep E constant, because the interception point I want is $${\u_o}$$ (from Wikipedia ) . But I still wonder how to find out the minimum voltage? $$ {u_ o} < {\frac{\pi}{2}}$$ then solve for minimum V.

1. What is a bound state of a square well?

A bound state of a square well refers to the energy state of a particle that is confined within a potential well. In this case, the potential well is in the shape of a square, which creates a finite region where the particle can exist.

2. How is a bound state of a square well formed?

A bound state of a square well is formed when the potential energy within the well is lower than the kinetic energy of the particle. This creates a stable energy state where the particle remains trapped within the well.

3. What does it mean when no bound states are allowed in a square well?

If no bound states are allowed in a square well, it means that the potential energy within the well is higher than the kinetic energy of the particle. In this case, the particle does not have enough energy to be confined within the well and will instead escape.

4. What factors affect the number of allowed bound states in a square well?

The number of allowed bound states in a square well is affected by the depth and width of the well, as well as the mass of the particle. A deeper and narrower well will have more allowed bound states, while a shallower and wider well will have fewer bound states.

5. How is the energy of a particle in a bound state of a square well quantized?

The energy of a particle in a bound state of a square well is quantized because the particle can only exist in specific energy levels within the well. This is due to the wave-like nature of particles and the constraints of the potential well, which results in discrete energy levels rather than a continuous range of energies.