1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bound state problem

1. Mar 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider [itex]V(x)=-aV_{0}δ(x)[/itex]. Show that it admits a bound state of energy [itex]E=-ma^2V_{0}/2\hbar^{2}[/itex].Are there any other bound states?Hint:solve Schrodinger's equation outside the potential for E<0, and keep only the solution that has the right behavior at infinity and is continuous at x=0.

Draw the wave function and see how there is a cusp, or a discontinuous change of slope at x=0. Calculate the change in the slope at equate it to [itex]\int_{-ε}^{ε}( \frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}) dx[/itex]
    (where ε is infinitesimal) determined from Shrodinger's equation.

2. Relevant equations
    Shrodinger equation in X basis : [itex]\frac {d^2\psi}{dx^2}+(2m/\hbar)(E-V)\psi=0[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    First how can we prove that [itex]E=-ma^2V_{0}/2\hbar^{2}[/itex] admits a bound state, shall I substitute it in the shrodinger equation then prove that the obtained wave function goes to zero when x goes to infinity?
    For are there any other bound states?
    I tried to solve the Shrodinger's equation with E<0 and outside the potential, what I got is this :
    Let E=-A where A is a positive integer.
    [itex]\frac {d^2\psi}{dx^2}+(2m/\hbar)(E)\psi=0[/itex]
    [itex]\frac {d^2\psi}{dx^2}-(2m/\hbar)(A)\psi=0[/itex]
    [itex]\psi=Ae^{-\sqrt{2mA/\hbar^2}x}+Be^{\sqrt{2mA/\hbar^2}x}[/itex]
    [itex]Be^{\sqrt{2mA/\hbar^2}x}[/itex] blows up to zero when x goes to infinity, so B=0.
    what we finally get is [itex]\psi=Ae^{-\sqrt{2mE/\hbar^2}x}[/itex]. I reached here and I don't know how to complete.
    If anybody can help.Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

x can go both to positive and negative infinity, you have to consider both cases separately.
    Then consider x=0 separately again, with the given hint.

Schrödinger (or Schroedinger), by the way.

4. Mar 3, 2016 #3
    Let E=-U where U is a positive number.
    Take case where x<0
    the solution is[itex] \psi=Ae^{-\sqrt{2mU/\hbar^2}x}+Be^{\sqrt{2mU/\hbar^2}x}[/itex]
    as x goes to -infinity the first part will blow up so A must be zero.
    when x>0
    the solution is [itex] \psi=Ce^{-\sqrt {2mU/ \hbar^2}x}+De^{\sqrt{2mU/ \hbar^2} x } [/itex]
    as x goes to +infinity the next part will blow up so D=0.

now for case x=0
    the solution is [itex] \psi=E e^{-\sqrt {2m (U+V)\hbar^2}x}+Fe^{\sqrt{2m(U+V)/ \hbar^2} x} [/itex]
    here when x=0 V=infinity but 0*infinity is not defined. So how we can determine the wave function here?

5. Mar 3, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

The wave function has to be continuous.
    You don't need x-dependent functions to consider the case x=0 as the wave function there has a single value only.

6. Mar 4, 2016 #5
    Let [itex]\psi[/itex]at x=0 be a number called it F.
    for x<0 [itex]\psi=Be^{\sqrt{2mU/\hbar^2}x}[/itex]
    for x>0[itex]\psi=Ce^{-\sqrt{2mU/\hbar^2}x}[/itex]
    As the wave function must be continuous at x=0,then we have [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0^{-} } {B e^ {\sqrt {2mU/ \hbar ^ 2} x }}=[/itex] [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0^{+} }{Ce^{- \sqrt {2mU/ \hbar^2} x }}= [/itex] [itex]\psi(0)=F[/itex]
    then B=C=F.
    using the normalization condition at [itex]-\infty<x<0 and 0<x<+\infty[/itex]
    we have as B=C [itex]C\int_{-\infty}^{0^-} e^{\sqrt{2mU/ \hbar^2}x}dx +C\int_{0^+}^{+\infty}e^{-\sqrt{2mU/ \hbar^2}x}dx=1[/itex]
    this will lead that C=[itex]\sqrt{2mU}/2\hbar[/itex]
    but as V=infinity at x=0 then [itex]\psi=0[/itex]at x=0,so F=0.
    and in this case U must be zero!!!as C=B=0.
    which means that there is no bound states,so what goes wrong?

7. Mar 4, 2016 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Why should the wave function be zero there?

Everything before that line was fine.

8. Mar 4, 2016 #7
    OK.
    then B=C=F=[itex]\sqrt{2mU}/2\hbar[/itex]
    and so for x<0 [itex]\psi=(\sqrt{2mU}/2\hbar )* e^{\sqrt{2mU/ \hbar^2}x}[/itex]
    and so for x>0[itex]\psi=(\sqrt{2mU}/2\hbar)* e^{-\sqrt{2mU/ \hbar^2}x}[/itex]
    and for x=0[itex]\psi=\sqrt{2mU}/2\hbar[/itex]
    But this means that all negative energies are allowed, since their is no restriction on negative energy.Is this right?

9. Mar 4, 2016 #8

mfb

2016 Award

The restriction comes from the change of the first derivative that happens at x=0.

10. Mar 5, 2016 #9
    for x<0 [itex]\left.\frac{d\psi}{dx}\right|_{x=0}=mU/ \hbar^2[/itex]
    for x=0 [itex]\left.\frac{d\psi}{dx}\right|_{x=0}=0[/itex]
    for x>0 [itex]\left.\frac{d\psi}{dx}\right|_{x=0}=-mU/ \hbar^2[/itex]
    The change of the first derivative at x=0 is [itex]-mU/ \hbar^2[/itex]
    Now as I calculated the change of slope, I will equate to [itex]\int_{-ε}^{ε} (\frac {d^2\psi}{dx^2})dx[/itex]
    [itex]\int_{-ε}^{ε} (\frac {d^2\psi}{dx^2})dx=-2mU/ \hbar^2 e^{-\sqrt{2mU/ \hbar^2}ε} +2mU/ \hbar^2[/itex]
    but I didn't see that equating the change of slope to this integral leads to any restriction in energy?
    what is the trick here?

11. Mar 5, 2016 #10

mfb

2016 Award

There is no derivative if your function has a single point only.

The delta potential at x=0 allows to calculate the change of the first derivative. Set it equal to ##\frac{2mU}{\hbar^2}## and you get the constraints on the energy.

12. Mar 6, 2016 #11
    mmmm ok.
    I will use now the Schroedinger equation [itex]-\hbar^2 /2m\int_{-ε}^{ε}\psi' '(x)dx+\int_{-ε}^{ε}V(x)\psi(x)dx=E\int_{-ε}^{ε}\psi(x)dx[/itex]

Then [itex]-\hbar^2 /2m[\psi'_{x>0}(0)-\psi'_{x<0}(0)]-aV_{0}\psi(0)=0 (asE\int_{-ε}^{ε}\psi(x)dx=0)[/itex]
    so [itex]-\hbar^2/2m[(-2mU/2\hbar^2)-2mU/2\hbar^2]=aV_{0}\psi(0)[/itex]
    then [itex]U=aV_{0}\sqrt{2mU}/2\hbar[/itex]
    [itex]U^2=a^2V_{0}^2mU/4\hbar^2[/itex]
    then [itex]U(U-a^2V_{0}^2m/2\hbar^2)=0[/itex]
    which means that[itex] U=0 or U=a^2V_{0}^2m/2\hbar^2[/itex]
    and so the two allowed bound states are [itex]E=0[/itex] and[itex]E= - a^2V_{0}^2m/2\hbar^2[/itex]

13. Mar 6, 2016 #12

mfb

2016 Award

U=0 leads to a contradiction elsewhere.
    Do the units match for the final result? The approach looks fine.

14. Mar 6, 2016 #13
    As the hint says, I must suppose E<0 out side the potential, so there will be one bound state which is [itex]E=-a^2V_{0}^2m/2\hbar^2[/itex].I think this is right because it matches what the question wants,as
    By the way, it is [itex]E=-a^2V_{0}^2m/2\hbar^2[/itex] and not [itex]E=-a^2V_{0}m/2\hbar^2[/itex] I copied it wrong in the first post.
    shall I suppose E<0 for simplicity or things would go wrong if I have dealt with E>0?as the hint restricted me to deal with E<0 out side the potential.

15. Mar 6, 2016 #14

mfb

2016 Award

E>0 cannot be a bound state. There are states with positive energy, but they are not bound.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted