Bound States in Quantum Mechanics: Confused?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of bound states in quantum mechanics and its definition as particles being unable to escape to infinity. The book gives an example of a potential with infinite barriers at certain points, but still defines it as a bound state. The conversation then questions how a particle can be in a bound state if it has a nonzero probability of being at positive infinity. The expert responds by clarifying that the particle is never at negative infinity and explains why it is still considered bound despite having a nonzero probability of being at an arbitrarily large finite positive position. The issue of a decreasing exponential solution in the classically disallowed region is also brought up.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

I am confused about bound states in QM. My book defines bound states as those in which the particle cannot escape to infinite.

It then gives an example of a potential which is infinite when x is less than 0, -V_0 when x is between 0 and a, and 0 when x >= a.

But then it says that "a particle with mass m is in a bound state in this potential with energy <= 0"

How can this particle possibly be in a bound state when it will have a nonzero probability of being at positive infinity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, from just reading your definition, I don't see how you draw the conclusion that the particle has a nonzero probability of being at positive infinity when x<0. For the particle to escape to infinity, it must move towards the right, breaking through x=0. However, the potential at x=0 (and anywhere to the left) is infinite, so the particle will not be able to break through this. Therefore, the particle is bound.

What do you mean it must break through at x=0?

What do you mean when "being at positive infinity when x< 0"?

The particle is never anywhere where x is less than 0.

I see the problem. I said that the particle has non-zero probability of being at infinity. That is never true.

I meant that it has nonzero probability of being at at an arbitrarily large finite positive x-position.

Just consider the finite square well with energy less than the top of the well. The solution in the classically disallowed region is an decreasing exponential. My book says that is bound. That makes no sense to me.

1. What are bound states in quantum mechanics?

Bound states in quantum mechanics refer to the states of a quantum system where the particles are confined to a limited space and cannot escape. This is in contrast to unbound states, where the particles are not confined and can move freely.

2. How are bound states different from unbound states?

Bound states have a finite energy and are stable, while unbound states have an infinite energy and are unstable. Bound states also have a wavefunction that is confined to a specific region, while unbound states have a wavefunction that extends to infinity.

3. What is the significance of bound states in quantum mechanics?

Bound states play a crucial role in understanding the behavior and properties of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems. They also have important applications in technology, such as in the design of electronic devices and lasers.

4. How are bound states described in quantum mechanics?

Bound states are described using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that governs the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. The solutions to this equation give the wavefunction of the bound state and its corresponding energy levels.

5. Can bound states exist in all types of quantum systems?

Yes, bound states can exist in all types of quantum systems, including atoms, molecules, nuclei, and even elementary particles. However, the specific properties and behavior of bound states may vary depending on the system and its surrounding environment.