Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boundary and homeomorphism

1. Aug 4, 2011 #1

aleazk

Gold Member

Hi, I need to know if the following statement is false or true. Given two topological spaces, X and Y, and an homeomorphism, F, between them, if bA is the boundary of the subset A of X, this implies that F(bA) is the boundary of the subset F(A) of Y?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What did you try already?? What is the definition of the boundary??

4. Aug 4, 2011 #3

aleazk

Gold Member

sorry if this is a silly question, I'm new in topology. bA=CA-IA, where CA is the closure and IA is the interior.

5. Aug 4, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Indeed, so what happens if you take

[tex]f(CA-IA)[/tex]

can you show that this equals [itex]Cf(A)-If(A)[/itex]??

Simplified, can you show that

[tex]Cf(A)=f(CA)~\text{and}~If(A)=f(IA)[/tex]

6. Aug 5, 2011 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That is equivalent to saying that point p is in the boundary of A if and only if any open set containing p contains points in A and points not in A. And, of course, homeomorphisms map open sets to open sets.

7. Aug 8, 2011 #6

aleazk

Gold Member

So, using the property AcB then F[A]cF of maps, the open sets that contain F(p) will also contain points inside and outside of F[A], and then F(p) is in the boundary of F[A] if p is in the boundary of A?

8. Aug 8, 2011 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Indeed!! You may want to rigorize that however. For example, why will open sets containing F(p) also contain points in and out F(A)?

9. Aug 8, 2011 #8

aleazk

Gold Member

Hi, I suppose yes. int A is the largest open set contained in A, so int A c A and then F[int A] c F[A]. If F is an homeomorphism, then F^-1 is continuous, which implies that F[int A] is open. Then, because the last relation, F[int A] c F[A], F[int A] c int F[A]. Now, int F[A] c F[A], so F^-1[int F[A]] c A. Because F is continuous, then F^-1[int F[A]] is open. Using the last relation, F^-1[int F[A]] c A, it follows that F^-1[int F[A]] c int A, which is equivalent to int F[A] c F[int A]. Thus, using the previous result, F[int A] c int F[A], it follows that F[int A] = int F[A]. CA is the smallest closed set containing A, so F[A] c CF[A] and then A c F^-1[CF[A]]. F^-1[CF[A]] is closed because CF[A] is closed and F is continuous. Then CA c F^-1[CF[A]], which is equivalent to F[CA] c CF[A]. Using similar arguments, but invoking the continuity of F^-1, it follows that CF[A] c F[CA]. So, F[CA] = CF[A].

10. Aug 8, 2011 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Seems ok! :smile: Nicely done!!

11. Aug 8, 2011 #10

aleazk

Gold Member

Thanks. I needed the result to convince myself of a claim that I read below proposition 4.5.1 of Hawking and Ellis. The proposition says that in a convex normal neighborhood Np of point p, the points in Np that can be reached by timelike curves diverging from p are those of the form Q=exp\p(V), where V is timelike. But then, below the proposition, he says: in other words, the null geodesics that diverge from p form the boundary of the region in Np that can be reached by timelike curves diverging from p. :confused: why?
    The zone exp\p(V), where V is timelike, is generated by the timelike geodesics that diverge from p, and the zone exp\p(V), where V is null, is generated by the null geodesics that diverge from p, all this by definition of the exponential map at p. In the tangent space to p, Tp, the null vectors form the boundary of the zone where the timelike vectors lie. Thus, because exp\p is a diffeomorphism (and then an homeomorphism) at Np, using the result we discused in this tread, the null geodesics that diverge from p really form the boundary of the zone generated by the timelike geodesics that diverge from p. At least I think so :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook