1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boundary Condition querries.

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    Urgent: Boundary Condition querries.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Question given: A dielectric interface is described by 4y+3z=12. The side including the origin is free space and its electric flux density, D=ax+3ay+2az (micro) C/m2. On the other side, (Epsilon)r2 = 2. Find D2.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, so this is how i try to solve it:
    1. I get the unit vector of the equation given(but only make use of 4y + 3z).

2. Then i get the E1. (by using the eq D=(eps)E) thus getting: (ax+3ay+2az)(micro)eps^-1.
    >> is it correct? because i am familiar doing it with E and not D. am i suppose to do it this way? or are there any better alternate ways?

3. Then i went on to get E1n by using the equation (E . an)(an).

4. Then E1t. (E1 = E1n + E1t)

5. Then E2n ( (Eps)r1 E1n = (Eps)r2 E2n) )

6. And finally, E2 = E2n + E2t. And using the eq D=(eps)E to get D2.

thank you.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One thing I see missing from all this is what the QUESTION itself is! What exactly are you trying to find?

4. Oct 5, 2008 #3
    the second step. if it is correct if i change the given D to E1 using the equation D=(eps)E.

apart from that, i want to know if my way of doing it is correct or not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?