Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boundary Conditions for 1D heat flow in Wire with source

1. May 16, 2010 #1
    I'm trying to understand how to set up the problem of a 1D wire that is insulated at one end and has a heat source at the other. I know the heat law, from my textbook:

du/dt = B d2u/dx2 + q(x,t) 0 < x < L, t > 0

Where q(x,t) is the source of heat.

The problem is, I want the heat source to be only at one end of the bar, but every example I find of this kind of problem has a heat source that is a function of x, which I don't understand, since the heat generated should be 0 for all x except x = 0, and I don't know how to deal with that.

Also, what do I do for the insulated boundary on the other side? I want the heat to continue to build without escaping.

This is so frustrating! Any help is greatly appreciated!!

ps. The actual problem I am trying to solve is to find the pressure P(x,t) in a 1D finite reservoir, with a constant source of water at one end, but as far as I can tell, this problem is analogous, and I figured more people would be familiar with the heat equation example.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted