Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boundary conditions for open and closed strings

1. Sep 17, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I am a bit confused about the terminology used for the boundary conditions describing open and closed strings.

For the open string,

Ramond case: [itex]\psi^+(\sigma = \pi, t) = \psi^-(\sigma = \pi, t)[/itex]
    Neveu-Schwarz case: [itex]\psi^+(\sigma = \pi, t) = -\psi^-(\sigma = \pi, t)[/itex]

Question 1: Is it correct that the "R sector" refers to the Ramond case, and the "NS sector" refers to the Neveu-Schwarz case?

For the closed string,

Ramond case: [itex]\psi^+(\sigma = 0) = \psi^+(\sigma = \pi)[/itex], [itex]\psi^+(\sigma = 0) = \psi^-(\sigma = \pi)[/itex]

Neveu-Schwarz case: [itex]\psi^+(\sigma = 0) = \psi^+(\sigma = \pi)[/itex], [itex]\psi^+(\sigma = 0) = -\psi^-(\sigma = \pi)[/itex]

Question 2: So,

NS-NS means both [itex]\psi^+[/itex] and [itex]\psi^-[/itex] are antiperiodic
    NS-R means [itex]\psi^+[/itex] is antiperiodic and [itex]\psi^-[/itex] is periodic
    R-NS means [itex]\psi^-[/itex] is antiperiodic and [itex]\psi^+[/itex] is periodic
    R-R means [itex]\psi^+[/itex] is periodic and [itex]\psi^-[/itex] is periodic?

I apologize for the triviality of these questions but the classification of the 4 sectors is confusing me a little...

I'd appreciate some help.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted