Boundary conditions of a plane wave on a conductor

In summary, to find the radiation pressure exerted on a flat conducting surface by a plane monochromatic wave incident at an angle ##\theta##, you can use the equations for the Poynting vector and radiation pressure, along with the time average of the Poynting vector, to calculate the time-averaged force per unit area exerted on the surface.
1v1Dota2RightMeow

Homework Statement

Consider a plane monochromatic wave incident on a flat conducting surface. The incidence angle is ##θ##. The wave is polarized perpendicular to the plane of incidence. Find the radiation pressure (time-averaged force per unit area) exerted on the surface.

Homework Equations

Radiation pressure for reflection ##\to ####P_{reflected} = \frac{2\langle S \rangle \cos ^2 (\theta_I)}{c}##

## \vec{S} = \frac{1}{\mu_0}(\vec{E} \times \vec{B})##

##\vec{E} = E_0 e^{i(\vec{k} \cdot \vec{r} - wt)}\hat y##

##\vec{B} = \frac{1}{v_1}E_0 e^{i(\vec{k} \cdot \vec{r} - wt)}(-\cos \theta_I \hat x + \sin \theta_I \hat z)##

The Attempt at a Solution

##\vec{E} \times \vec{B} = \frac{1}{v_1}E_0^2 e^{2i(\vec{k} \cdot \vec{r} - wt)}(\sin \theta_I \hat x + \cos \theta \hat z)##

##\vec{k} \cdot \vec{r} = zk \sin \theta_I + xk \cos \theta_I##

##\to P = \frac{2}{\mu_0 c^2}E_0^2 e^{2i((zk \sin \theta_I + xk \cos \theta_I) - wt)}(\sin \theta_I \hat x + \cos \theta_I \hat z)##

But I know this isn't right because I need to find the time average of the Ponyting vector. How do I do so?

Physics news on Phys.org

To find the time average of the Poynting vector, you can use the following equation:

##\langle \vec{S} \rangle = \frac{1}{T} \int_{0}^{T} \vec{S} dt##

Where T is the period of the wave. This will give you the average value of the Poynting vector over one full cycle of the wave.

Substituting your expressions for ##\vec{E}## and ##\vec{B}## into the equation for ##\vec{S}##, you can then use the above equation to find the time average of the Poynting vector. From there, you can use the equation for the radiation pressure to find the time-averaged force per unit area exerted on the surface.

1. What are boundary conditions of a plane wave on a conductor?

Boundary conditions refer to the set of rules that must be satisfied at the interface between two different media. In the case of a plane wave on a conductor, the boundary conditions describe the behavior of the electric and magnetic fields at the interface between the wave and the conductor.

2. How do boundary conditions affect the propagation of a plane wave on a conductor?

Boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the behavior of a plane wave on a conductor. They dictate how the electric and magnetic fields are reflected and transmitted at the interface, which in turn affects the amplitude and direction of the wave.

3. What is the difference between boundary conditions for perfect conductors and real conductors?

Perfect conductors are theoretical materials that have infinite conductivity and no losses, while real conductors have finite conductivity and experience some energy loss. As a result, the boundary conditions for perfect conductors are more simplified and idealized compared to those for real conductors.

4. How do boundary conditions affect the skin depth of a conductor?

The skin depth is a measure of how far an electromagnetic wave can penetrate into a conductor. The boundary conditions at the interface between the wave and the conductor determine the skin depth, as they affect the attenuation of the wave as it travels through the conductor.

5. Can boundary conditions be applied to other types of waves besides plane waves?

Yes, boundary conditions are applicable to all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and water waves. They are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of waves at interfaces between different media.