1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boundary conditions of ODE

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given w'' - w = f(x)

w'(0) = 1
    w'(1) = 0

2. Relevant equations

Find the Green's Function

3. The attempt at a solution

The solution to the homogeneous equation is known as:

w(x) = A*exp(-x) + B*exp(x)

For G's function we have:

u(x) = A1*exp(-x) + B*exp(x), u'(0) = 1
    v(x) = A2*exp(-x) + B*exp(x), v'(1) = 0

The homogeneous equation is easily solved by plugging in two B.C.s. However, with Green's function we have two equations with two unknowns and one B.C. each. This leaves:

u'(0) = 1 -> B1 = 1 + A1 -> u(x) = A1*exp(-x) + (1+A1)*exp(x)
    v'(1) = 0 -> B2 = A2*exp(-2) -> v(x) = A2*exp(-x) + A2*exp(-2)*exp(x)

Since G1 = A(c)*u(x) and G2 = B(c)*v(x), and we have two jump conditions at point c, I don't see how this can be solved. I've done other problems where A(c) and B(c) can be merged with A1 and A2, but the "1+A1" term keeps me from reducing this two two unknowns and two equations. Am I missing something? Is there an implied BC that I'm not seeing?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Green's function is the solution of G_a''(x) - G_a(x) = Delta(x-a), where Delta is the Dirac delta fcn. We can regard G_a as G_a(x) = H(x-a), where H''(x) - H(x) = Delta(x). Don't worry about boundary conditions at x = 0 and x = 1 for now. Since Delta(x) = 0 if x < 0 and if x > 0 we have H''-H=0 on x<0 and on x>0. What happens at x = 0? If we integrate the DE from 0 - h to 0 + h, for small h > 0 we get H'(0+h) - H'(0-h) + O(h) = 1. So, we want: (i) H(x) continuous at x = 0; and (ii) H'(0+)-H'(0-) = 1.

We have H = A1*exp(x)+ B1*exp(-x) for x < 0 and H = A2*exp(x)+B2*exp(-x) for x > 0 we need A1+B1 = A2+B2 [continuity] and A2* - B2* - A1 + B1 = 1 [jump condition]. Now, usually we want a Green's fcn on all of the real line, so we usually impose conditions at +-infinity. Let's assume boundedness. Thus, we have B1 = 0 and A2 = 0. Therefore, we now have A1 = B2 and B2-A1=1, so now we can get A1 and B2. The solution of w''-w = f is w(x) = w_0(x) + integral(H(x-t) f(t) dt, t=-infinity..infinity), and where w_0 is any solution of the homogeneous equation. (Here, you could take f(t) = 0 for t < 0 and t > 1, but if your original f(x) is defined for all x, you could use f on the whole line.) We can choose the constants in w_0 to give the desired boundary conditions.

RGV

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  4. Nov 9, 2011 #3
    Ray,

Thank you for the reply. If it's not too much trouble, could you explain where the w(x)=w_0 + int(...) equation comes from?

5. Nov 9, 2011 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure: the general solution of y'' - y = f is any _particular_ solution plus the solution of the homogeneous DE; this is an absolutely standard result that you should have burned into your soul. The integral involving H is just one particular solution.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook